by Staff Reporter | Dec 5, 2025 | Education, News
By Staff Reporter |
An art exhibit at Northern Arizona University (NAU) allegedly displayed a poster mocking Charlie Kirk’s assassination.
The poster depicts the Turning Point founder and former CEO in a black and white screenprint, surrounded by blood red. A Nazi symbol follows the directory of the fatal bullet that went through Kirk’s neck. Beneath, the artist included the phrase, “Cowabummer,” a slang term used to express sarcastic empathy.
The artist signed only their initials: “A.S.”
The original poster of the print, Libs of TikTok, didn’t indicate where the print was displayed on campus, or when, but that a follower had sent it.
There were several recent art exhibits at NAU.
From mid-September until Thanksgiving Day, the Clara M. Lovett Art Museum featured the exhibit “Prints. People. Power.” The exhibit featured prints from three artist collectives, only one of which remains active: Arizona Print Group.
Additionally, NAU’s Beasley Gallery is featuring Resonance: BFA Capstone Exhibition to showcase graduating BFA candidates from NAU’s School of Art + Design. The exhibition launched Nov. 21 and will last until Dec. 12.
Kirk was assassinated on Sept. 10 while speaking at Utah Valley University, nearly a month to the day before his 32nd birthday. The man charged with Kirk’s assassination, Tyler James Robinson, was politically aligned with progressives, especially on issues pertaining to LGBTQ+ culture and ideologies.
Robinson was in a homosexual relationship with another man, Lance Twiggs, who identified as a woman and was in the process of transitioning genders.
Robinson is scheduled for in-person oral arguments on Jan. 16 and 30. His legal team asked the judge to limit media coverage in the courtroom due to concerns for a right to fair trial; the judge did impose restrictions on filming and photography to prevent further public exposure to the image of Robinson wearing shackles.
Rep. Eli Crane said if the print were indeed featured in an NAU art gallery, then NAU was “another shameful example of what’s wrong with higher education in America.”
As with many other college campuses across the country, NAU students have been captured on film targeting TPUSA tables with vandalization, theft, and threats on violence.
One student vandalized a table and stole a sign. Another handed the table workers a note with a death threat depicting Kirk’s assassination.
“A good Nazi is a dead one,” said the note. “Free speech!”
As far as public reporting goes, NAU has yet to address these incidents.
As of last month, TPUSA reported receiving around 350,000 new student registrations and over 135,000 new chapter requests.
Efforts to establish chapters on campuses have been met with resistance at high schools and postsecondary institutions, in large part due to TPUSA’s Professor Watchlist. The list documents professors accused of discriminating against conservative students.
Only one NAU professor is on the TPUSA Professor Watchlist: Heather Martel, an associate professor of history and associate faculty in the women’s and gender studies program.
Martel made the watchlist after telling a student in her history class that he wasn’t allowed to read the Bible before class in 2017.
Kirk was last on NAU’s campus in October 2024 as part of his “You’re Being Brainwashed Tour.” This latest tour, which was his last, was titled “The Great American Comeback Tour.”
AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.
by Matthew Holloway | Dec 3, 2025 | News
By Matthew Holloway |
Arizona Congressman Eli Crane (R-AZ-02) blasted Democrat Senator Ruben Gallego for posting what he called a “profanity-laced” video on X defending the controversial “Don’t give up the ship” message to U.S. service members. The message, released November 19th, also featured Sen. Mark Kelly (D-AZ).
In the ad first posted by Senator Elissa Slotkin (D-MI), Sen. Kelly is seen with Slotkin and Reps. Jason Crow (D-CO), Chrissy Houlahan (D-PA), Maggie Goodlander (D-NH), and Chris Deluzio (D-PA). Kelly is addressing “members of the military” directly and stating, “This Administration is pitting our uniformed military,” against the American people and advising that “from right here at home: our laws are clear. You can refuse illegal orders.”
Many Republican critics, including President Donald Trump, Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, and Rep. Eli Crane and have argued that Kelly’s comments violated the law governing conduct of former service members still subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
Kelly is now under investigation by the Department of War (DOW), which stated in part, “In accordance with the Uniform Code of Military Justice, 10 U.S.C. § 688, and other applicable regulations, a thorough review of these allegations has been initiated to determine further actions, which may include recall to active duty for court-martial proceedings or administrative measures.”
Gallego released a 55-second video in a post to X on November 24th in which he stated:
“This is f***ing insane. We should all point out how f***ing insane this is. Hey, this is Ruben Gallego. I’m traveling through Arizona right now and I just received the news that the Department of Defense is starting an investigation against my seatmate Mark Kelly. This is f***ing insane. We should all just point out how f***ing insane this is. And you know: these guys are trying to say that they’re not acting like fascists. They’re not trying to give as much power to this president as a King. And they should start …stop acting like it. Mark Kelly is a patriot. There’s no reason why they’re going after him. He was doing his duty and just reminding people about their rights as service members.
And you know: Secretary Hegseth, all these guys: f*** you guys.
You’re not going to scare us. We have a right to defend the Constitution of the United States. We have a right to tell other service members that they have a right to ignore illegal orders. And you’re not going to intimidate us.”
In a statement posted to X on Friday, Rep. Crane blasted Kelly for his comments and Gallego’s attempts to defend them.
“Ruben, in your profanity laced video you state that there is no reason that this administration is going after Senator Kelly. You are either lying or unaware of 18 U.S.C. § 2387 in the Uniform Code of Military Justice. This section prohibits inciting or abetting mutiny or sedition in the U.S. armed forces. Sedition is speech or conduct that incites rebellion or insurrection against a government or authority. I have noticed how the group who made this video have all agreed publicly that no unlawful orders have been given. They have then all stated that it’s just a reminder to our armed forces of their rights and responsibilities.
As servicemen ourselves we are both aware that all servicemen and women are already trained and educated of these rights and responsibilities in basic training. If the intention of your colleagues was solely to remind our service members of their rights and responsibilities then why didn’t they make this video when Joe Biden was CIC? You remember him right? The guy who didn’t know where he was half the time and who could barely string together a coherent sentence. The fact of the matter is that we all know why the video was made. If/when Senator Kelly is recalled to active duty for a court martial the American people will get educated themselves regarding the UCMJ and the provisions within it to deter this very conduct.”
In a post to Truth Social on November 20th, President Trump responded to the video, writing: “SEDITIOUS BEHAVIOR, punishable by DEATH!” In a follow-up on November22nd, President Trump wrote, “THE TRAITORS THAT TOLD THE MILITARY TO DISOBEY MY ORDERS SHOULD BE IN JAIL RIGHT NOW, NOT ROAMING THE FAKE NEWS NETWORKS TRYING TO EXPLAIN THAT WHAT THEY SAID WAS OK. IT WASN’T, AND NEVER WILL BE! IT WAS SEDITION AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL, AND SEDITION IS A MAJOR CRIME. THERE CAN BE NO OTHER INTERPRETATION OF WHAT THEY SAID!”
Matthew Holloway is a senior reporter for AZ Free News. Follow him on X for his latest stories, or email tips to Matthew@azfreenews.com.
by Matthew Holloway | Dec 1, 2025 | News
By Matthew Holloway |
The Ak-Chin Indian Community has been selected as the only Arizona tribe chosen for the Indian Health Service’s Joint Venture Construction Program (JVCP) for Fiscal Year 2025, a federal partnership that will fund and staff a new comprehensive health center for the community.
The JVCP, launched in 1991 under the Indian Health Care Improvement Act, allows tribes to finance and construct healthcare facilities that meet IHS standards. In return, the Indian Health Service requests funding from Congress to staff, equip, and operate the facilities for 20 years under a no-cost lease agreement.
According to an announcement from Congressman Eli Crane (R-AZ-02), the Ak-Chin Indian Community, located in northwestern Pinal County within Crane’s district, was selected through a competitive national application process. The Congressman celebrated the decision, calling it “a historic investment in rural healthcare” and noting that the partnership would “expand access to quality care and help close longstanding gaps in Arizona’s Second District.”
A letter from the IHS to Tribal leaders states that participants in the JVCP “acquire, construct, or renovate a health care facility” and that IHS will operate the completed facility for the duration of the lease period. The letter confirms Ak-Chin’s selection among the FY 2025 participants.
Over thirty facilities have been constructed under this program, including both health centers and hospitals, serving more than 25 tribes nationwide, according to the IHS.
Ak-Chin Indian Community Chairman Gabriel Lopez praised the federal decision, saying the partnership “will enable us to replace our current aged and inadequate health clinic to meet the needs of our growing population,” by enabling community members, including elders and those with chronic conditions, to access care closer to home.
Specific service offerings for the new facility will be defined as the project moves forward. Lopez added, “Going forward, this new health center with comprehensive services will ensure high-quality care is available right here and will make a real difference in the quality of life for the Ak-Chin people,” according to Native News Online.
Lopez also thanked Crane and Arizona’s congressional delegation for supporting the tribe’s successful application.
“This healthcare facility would not be possible without our Arizona delegation members, including Congressman Crane. We thank Congressman Crane for his support, which was essential in the success of our application and reflects his steadfast advocacy for the Ak-Chin Indian Community and each of the Tribes within his district,” Lopez said.
The Chairman met with U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Robert F. Kennedy Jr. in Scottsdale this week to announce the award for the Joint Venture Construction Program. Kennedy described the existing urgent care facility on Ak Chin tribal land as “essentially a double-wide trailer” in the video message.
In a post to X, HHS stated the funding will “build an approximately 60,000-square-foot health facility to expand access to primary, dental, and radiology care for the Ak-Chin community and neighboring tribes, improving access to care in rural Arizona.”
Thanking the Trump administration and Secretary Kennedy, Lopez said, “This is a tremendous honor, and it’s a tremendous surprise and a blessing for our community. Again, thank you to the Administration, thank you, Secretary.”
Matthew Holloway is a senior reporter for AZ Free News. Follow him on X for his latest stories, or email tips to Matthew@azfreenews.com.
by Matthew Holloway | Nov 16, 2025 | News
By Matthew Holloway |
Arizona’s House GOP members presented a unified front Wednesday as Congress ended the weeks-long federal government shutdown, criticizing Democrats for prioritizing politics over the disruptions it caused Arizonans. Rep. Abe Hamadeh (R-AZ08) delivered one of the sharpest rebukes, claiming Democrats triggered the shutdown by refusing to back a Continuing Resolution similar to extensions they supported under the Biden administration.
“Make no mistake about it; the Democrats’ disgusting shutdown was only about attacking President Trump. They didn’t care if Americans were collateral damage,” Hamadeh said.
He described spending Veterans Day with families and servicemembers in his district who faced suspended federal services, adding that many urged him to “hold the line” until a deal was reached.
Hamadeh described his team as “energized” as the government reopens, saying, “We know we have our work cut out for us as the nation recovers from the Democrats’ misguided shutdown. While my team has been staying on top of casework and legislation, the shutdown prevented us from having full access to the personnel and services taxpayers pay for. As a result, we are going to be working overtime to ensure that we minimize the damage the Democrats created. I encourage my constituents to reach out to my office for any assistance with federal agencies they might have.”
Rep. Eli Crane (R-AZ02) echoed the criticism, describing the lapse in funding as “the longest federal government shutdown in U.S. history.” Crane said the shutdown strained food banks, caused travel delays, and left rural families unsure whether they could access key services.
“Last night, I once again voted to fund the federal government. The American people should never be used as leverage to advance a political agenda,” said Rep. Crane. “To those who dealt with missed paychecks, worked without pay, and lived with great uncertainty, your determination and resolve are admirable. To the amazing people of rural Arizona who stood by one another during this challenge, I’m grateful for your strength and dedication to each other.”
In a post to X he wrote, “The American people should never be used as leverage to advance a political agenda.”
Rep. Juan Ciscomani (R-AZ06) faulted Democrats for rejecting what he called a “clean CR,” arguing that their last-minute demands forced the shutdown.
“Every single Democrat who voted against this clean CR voted for a government shutdown,” Ciscomani said in a statement. He told local reporters the standoff was driven by a “long wishlist of policy items” that Democratic leaders attempted to insert at the eleventh hour, “using our government as hostage to push their policy agenda through.”
Ciscomani visited with families in his district whose services were interrupted during the shutdown, including parents of disabled children and veterans dependent on federal support. He said he intends to monitor agency performance closely as operations resume.
The Tucson Republican soundly condemned Arizona Democrats in a post to X, “This shutdown was completely unnecessary and overdue to end. It’s disappointing to still see so many democrats, especially Arizonans, voting to remain shut down. “
Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ05) issued his own statement praising the House’s vote to reopen the government, thanking conservatives who pressured leadership to reject Democratic terms and focus on fiscal restraint. Biggs applauded colleagues for what he called a “moment to permanently shrink the federal bureaucracy, restore constitutional limits, and return power to the states.”
The shutdown ended Wednesday after the House approved the Senate-passed funding package, and President Trump signed the bill into law, restoring government operations while avoiding the policy disputes that sank earlier versions. Democrats contend they rejected the previous CR because of Trump-aligned provisions and budget riders they argued would worsen long-term fiscal conditions.
Rep. Hamadeh framed the episode as senseless and revealing of Democrats’ priorities.
“The Democrats accomplished nothing with their senseless shutdown,” Hamadeh said, concluding, “except to show – without a doubt – that they do not put Americans first.”
As agencies reopen, GOP congressional offices across the state say they are preparing for an increase in casework as constituents attempt to navigate backlogged systems. Crane and Hamadeh both urged constituents to reach out as services begin returning to normal.
Matthew Holloway is a senior reporter for AZ Free News. Follow him on X for his latest stories, or email tips to Matthew@azfreenews.com.
by Matthew Holloway | Nov 7, 2025 | News
By Matthew Holloway |
On Tuesday, the U.S. Senate rejected a Republican-backed short-term funding measure to reopen the government for the 14th consecutive time. Arizona’s Democratic Senators Mark Kelly and Ruben Gallego joined all Democrats in voting against the measure.
The 54-44 vote fell short of the 60 votes required to overcome a filibuster, extending the partial government shutdown into its 35th day and tying the record for the longest in U.S. history with the 2018-2019 shutdown. The shutdown began Oct. 1, 2025, after Congress failed to pass full-year appropriations bills.
Video footage from the Senate floor, shared by Arizona Rep. Eli Crane (R-CD02), shows Kelly casting his “no” vote during the procedural tally. Gallego also voted against the bill, consistent with the Democratic caucus position.
Crane wrote, “If you or anyone you know is impacted by the ongoing government shutdown, I want you to see something. Today, the Senate voted for the 14th time to end the shutdown. For the 14th time, Senators Kelly and Gallego voted NO. See for yourself:”
The measure, passed by the House last week on a party-line vote, sought to avert immediate furloughs for non-essential federal workers and maintain operations amid disputes over spending priorities. Democrats have blocked the stopgap 14 times, citing the absence of extensions for Affordable Care Act (ACA) premium tax credits set to expire at year’s end.
Kelly, in remarks after the vote, indicated potential progress in bipartisan negotiations. “Maybe we’re moving,” Kelly told reporters. “We’re closer to the end of this than we are to the beginning,” as reported by the Huffington Post.
Gallego’s office reiterated the senator’s prior stance that Republicans, who control the White House, House, and Senate, hold the leverage to end the impasse but have refused bipartisan talks to protect ACA subsidies and avoid middle-class tax hikes embedded in GOP proposals. “We can reopen the government, get federal workers their backpay, and prevent health care costs from skyrocketing, but only if my Republican colleagues come to the table,” he claimed per the AZ Mirror.
Moderate Democrats met on Wednesday to explore an off-ramp amid signals from both parties of emerging talks. The Senate’s official roll call record for the 119th Congress confirms the vote tally and individual positions.
Federal agencies, including those impacting Arizona, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs and national parks like the Grand Canyon, remain affected, with over 2 million civilian workers on unpaid furlough or working without pay.
Matthew Holloway is a senior reporter for AZ Free News. Follow him on X for his latest stories, or email tips to Matthew@azfreenews.com.