by Staff Reporter | May 16, 2026 | News
By Staff Reporter |
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors (MCBOS) lost again in a court battle to keep election powers away from the county recorder.
The Arizona Superior Court issued a short, two-page ruling on Wednesday denying a motion from the MCBOS to stay pending appeal an earlier ruling by the court that ordered the Maricopa County Recorder’s powers to be restored.
Judge Scott Blaney denied the argument by the MCBOS that restoring election powers to Recorder Justin Heap this late in an election season would burden election workers and complicate the voting experience. Blaney refused to suspend disbelief to entertain a notion that the MCBOS hadn’t planned to lose the court case.
“But the Court finds it inexplicable that the Board of Supervisors — in the nine months since Recorder Heap filed the present lawsuit — would not have considered and planned for the possibility that the Court would rule in favor of Recorder Heap,” said Blaney.
Blaney also commented on a recent filing by Supervisor Mark Stewart, who was the sole “no” vote to appeal Blaney’s initial ruling in Heap’s favor. Stewart requested court-ordered mediation between MCBOS and the recorder. Stewart expressed concern that the court ruling hadn’t yielded the resolve either party had desired.
“While it appears that the Supervisor Stewart filed his request in good faith, the Court has little confidence that parties will use this stay for good faith negotiation and will instead see it as an opportunity to moot the Court’s Ruling through extended delay,” stated Blaney.
Blaney concluded by encouraging the MCBOS and Heap to engage in negotiations for a partial or full resolution of their election powers spat. Regardless of the outcome, Blaney pledged support for any mutual agreement.
“The Court remains willing to defer to the parties’ judgment as elected officials if they mutually reach a resolution through good faith negotiation,” said Blaney.
Heap said in a press release that the ruling further affirmed his right to maintain certain election authorities.
“This case was never about personalities or politics,” said Heap. “It was about whether Arizona law still means what it says. The Court answered that question decisively. It is time for the Board to accept reality, respect the rule of law, and focus on preparing for the upcoming elections.”
MCBOS appealed Blaney’s ruling, which was decided last month. That ruling rejected the MCBOS claim of plenary authority over elections administration, and ordered the board to restore to the recorder his elections personnel, systems, and equipment.
The board chair, Kate Brophy McGee, called the ruling “a total bust” rife with “so many fatal errors” in an interview with KTAR News last month. McGee explained that the motion for a stay pending appeal was to allow this election to be conducted under the ruled-against arrangement, so that questions of dividing elections powers could be figured out later.
McGee said the ruling failed to specify what elections administration powers ought to be restored to Heap.
“There is no clarity. There is confusion,” said McGee. “There is further potential for conflict, and we have to get this figured out[.]”
Arizona’s primary elections are scheduled for July 21, followed by the general election on Nov. 4.
AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.
by Matthew Holloway | May 16, 2026 | News
By Matthew Holloway |
Congressman Eli Crane (R-AZ02) welcomed a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announcement Tuesday that multiple Arizona health care providers, tribal entities, and state agencies are receiving federal funding through grants released by the agency.
The grants were awarded to the Arizona Department of Emergency & Military Affairs, the Arizona Department of Health Services, Dignity Community Care, Dignity Health, the Havasupai Tribe, HonorHealth, and Valleywise Health.
More than $5.5 million of the funding is designated for the Havasupai Tribe to repair damage caused by flash flooding in 2024. The project includes replacing four damaged bridges with structures designed to withstand major flood events, including 100-year flood events. The funding will also support fencing and erosion-control systems intended to protect ancestral burial grounds and culturally significant tribal sites.
In a statement released by his office, Crane said, “On behalf of rural Arizonans, I’m grateful to President Trump, Secretary Mullin, Associate Administrator Phillips, and agency personnel for delivering this reimbursement. This funding will strengthen health care across our state, as well as provide meaningful assistance for the Havasupai Tribe.”
“I also appreciate the work of Chairman Garbarino and Arizona’s congressional delegation,” he added, specifically highlighting the efforts of Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ05), whom he said, “demonstrated considerable leadership behind the scenes to resolve these long overdue needs.”
“We will continue to partner with the Trump administration to deliver wins for all Arizonans,” Crane said.
The Havasupai Tribe, located within Arizona’s Second Congressional District, was among the entities identified in the release. Crane’s district includes a significant number of tribal communities throughout northern and eastern Arizona.
The announcement follows a series of recent federal and congressional discussions surrounding rural infrastructure, tribal services, and health care access in Arizona communities. Last week, Crane participated in a Federal Partners Forum in Prescott focused on rural Arizona infrastructure and coordination between federal, state, and local agencies.
Matthew Holloway is a senior reporter for AZ Free News. Follow him on X for his latest stories, or email tips to Matthew@azfreenews.com.
by Matthew Holloway | May 16, 2026 | News
By Matthew Holloway |
Fire crews have reached 90% containment on the Jones Fire burning near Wickenburg after the blaze forced evacuations, destroyed recreational vehicles, and temporarily shut down portions of U.S. 60 earlier this week.
According to the Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management, the fire remained at approximately 84 acres Thursday morning as crews continued patrol operations, hazard tree mitigation, and containment line reinforcement near the Hassayampa River bottom southeast of Wickenburg. By Thursday evening, InciWeb listed the fire at 90% containment.
The fire began Sunday and rapidly spread through brush, grass, salt cedar, and cottonwood vegetation near U.S. 60 and South Kerkes Street. Officials issued evacuation orders for portions of the area, including residents near Arrowhead RV Park and sections of South Kerkes Street. Additional neighborhoods were placed under “Ready” and “Set” evacuation alerts as crews worked to contain the fire.
The Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management reported Monday evening that firefighters had halted the fire’s forward progress at approximately 89.5 acres, although interior hotspots and heavy vegetation continued to pose challenges for crews. Officials stated that between eight and ten RVs were destroyed by the fire, displacing multiple residents; however, no injuries were reported.
Temporary closures along U.S. 60 near milepost 111 disrupted travel in and out of Wickenburg during the height of firefighting operations. Maricopa County emergency officials also reported that Arizona Public Service shut off power east of U.S. 60 as a safety precaution while crews battled the blaze.
Most roadway closures were lifted Tuesday evening as containment improved and calmer wind conditions aided suppression efforts. However, portions of South Kerkes Street and areas surrounding Arrowhead RV Park remained closed while firefighters continued mop-up operations and monitored flare-ups within the burn area.
Investigators believe the fire was human-caused and originated in the riverbed area near Wickenburg. The Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management stated the dense salt cedar vegetation in the river bottom contributed to intense fire behavior and heavy smoke conditions, as seen in the Hazen fire that erupted along the Gila River bed on May 2 and is currently 93% contained.
Approximately 150 firefighting personnel were assigned to the incident, including wildland crews from across Arizona. Officials said crews focused on strengthening containment lines, extinguishing hotspots, and removing hazardous trees damaged by the fire.
The Jones Fire also prompted emergency shelter operations in the community. The American Red Cross opened a temporary evacuation shelter at Wickenburg High School for displaced residents affected by evacuation orders and damage to the RV park.
The Jones Fire comes as Arizona continues facing multiple wildfire incidents tied to dry vegetation and dangerous fire conditions across the state. The Hazen Fire, located near Buckeye, burned more than 1,100 acres in heavy river-bottom vegetation near State Route 85, prompting road closures, power outages, and firefighting responses involving more than 160 personnel.
Matthew Holloway is a senior reporter for AZ Free News. Follow him on X for his latest stories, or email tips to Matthew@azfreenews.com.
by Ethan Faverino | May 15, 2026 | News
By Ethan Faverino |
On behalf of the Pima County Republican Party and Chairwoman Kathleen Winn, the Oversight Project, filed suit over the 2025 Arizona Elections Procedures Manual (EPM) that grants election officials broad, vague authority to remove voters and involve law enforcement.
Arizona Secretary of State Adrian Fontes, with the approval of Attorney General Kris Mayes and Governor Katie Hobbs, issued the 2025 EPM through 2027. The document carries the force of law, with violations punishable by up to four months in prison.
The challenged provisions allow election officials to remove voters or summon law enforcement for actions such as wearing clothing, uniforms or official-looking apparel “intended to deter, intimidate, or harass voters”; “aggressive behavior”; “raising repeated frivolous voter challenges”; and electioneering that is “audible” inside a voting location.
Critics argue these standards lack clarity and invite arbitrary or discriminatory enforcement under the pretext of preserving order at polling places.
“The Arizona EPM encourages arbitrary enforcement that results in politically motivated disenfranchisement, stated Oversight Project Director of State Litigation Neal Cornett. “The Oversight Project is always ready to help conservative leaders like Chairwoman Winn challenge government weaponization, especially when it involves such fundamental rights as freedom of speech and voting. The Secretary of State and Attorney General should disavow the challenged provisions and work with Arizona leaders to draft a fair manual that follows Arizona law.”
This is not the first time Arizona officials have faced legal pushback. The Secretary of State and Attorney General were previously enjoined from enforcing similar provisions in the 2023 Manual.
Pima County Republican Party Chairwoman Kathleen Winn emphasized the importance of clear rules for all voters: “Every Arizona voter deserves clear, consistent rules at the polling place that protect their right to vote free from arbitrary enforcement. Vague standards invite abuse, and when election workers are given unchecked discretion to remove voters or call law enforcement based on unclear or unspecified conduct, no voter or vote is truly safe. This lawsuit is about ensuring that the rules governing our elections are written plainly, applied fairly, and consistent with Arizona law, regardless of party.”
The lawsuit contends that the EPM’s vague language unconstitutionally threatens voting rights and free speech by empowering subjective decision-making that could disenfranchise eligible voters.
Ethan Faverino is a reporter for AZ Free News. You can send him news tips using this link.
by Staff Reporter | May 15, 2026 | News
By Staff Reporter |
Activist organizations are promoting online “neighborhood defense” trainings that teach participants how to canvass communities and prepare local businesses for potential Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids, according to event listings and organizing materials circulated in Arizona and California-linked activist networks.
The trainings, promoted under the title “WOB Neighborhood Defense Team Training,” are scheduled as recurring virtual sessions and described as instruction on how to “canvass your community to prepare people in case of an ICE raid.” A May 14 event listing states that ICE raids are “intensifying across the country” and that worksites and businesses are being targeted.
One Reddit post, circulated through the Arizona-focused “AZAdvocacyHub” community, advertised the training as an online event hosted by Organized Power in Numbers, encouraging users to register even if they could not attend live to receive “the recording of the training and the materials.”
According to the event description, the trainings take place monthly on the second Thursday of each month over Zoom. An additional event listing published by Indivisible Roseville in California described the sessions as “Neighborhood Defense Team Training” events designed to prepare communities and businesses for ICE enforcement activity.
Organized Power in Numbers describes itself as an organization that combines organizing, digital infrastructure, and data strategy to “build worker power in the South and Southwest.” The organization’s website lists campaigns including “Workers Over Billionaires” and “Power Up AZ.”
The organization’s resource pages include downloadable “Know Your Rights” materials and workplace guidance concerning immigration enforcement encounters. One document distributed through the group advises businesses that ICE officers may not enter “private areas” of a workplace without permission or a judicial warrant signed by a judge.
Organized Power in Numbers has also promoted what it calls an “Emergency Worker Defense Fund,” launched in partnership with the Los Angeles Worker Center Network, to support workers affected by ICE enforcement operations in Los Angeles and the Southwest.
The trainings and organizing efforts come amid continuing national debate over immigration enforcement policy and workplace raids.
According to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, worksite enforcement investigations are intended to reduce illegal employment practices, hold employers accountable for unlawful hiring practices, and protect lawful employment opportunities. ICE states that Homeland Security Investigations conducts worksite enforcement operations targeting employers suspected of knowingly employing unauthorized workers or engaging in labor exploitation and related crimes.
Immigration enforcement operations have increasingly become flashpoints in states such as California, where state and local officials have enacted sanctuary policies limiting cooperation with federal immigration authorities.
California officials have also expanded worker notification requirements related to immigration enforcement activity. Earlier this year, the California Department of Industrial Relations announced implementation guidance for a state law requiring annual workplace notices informing employees of their rights during immigration enforcement encounters, regardless of immigration status.
Supporters of the “neighborhood defense” trainings characterize the efforts as legal-rights education and community preparedness intended to ensure that workers and residents understand constitutional protections during enforcement encounters.
Critics, however, argue that activist-organized ‘community defense’ infrastructure risks crossing the line from legal education into organized interference with federal immigration enforcement operations.
Immigration attorneys and advocacy organizations, however, commonly advise employers and workers regarding distinctions between public and private workplace areas during enforcement encounters.
The issue has gained renewed attention as federal immigration enforcement priorities continue to expand under the Trump administration. Reuters reported earlier this year that the administration was planning broader immigration crackdowns and increased workplace enforcement efforts. The Department of Justice has also challenged sanctuary policies in several jurisdictions, including Los Angeles.
AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.
by Matthew Holloway | May 15, 2026 | Economy, News
By Matthew Holloway |
The Consumer Price Index rose to 3.81 percent year-over-year in April, marking the highest annual inflation rate in nearly three years, according to the latest Monthly Inflation Update released Tuesday by Republicans on the Joint Economic Committee (JEC).
According to the report, headline Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) increased from 3.26 percent in March to 3.81 percent in April. Core CPI, which excludes food and energy prices, rose to 2.75 percent year-over-year in April, up from 2.60 percent in March.
April’s increase marked the highest annual headline inflation rate reported since mid-2023, reversing several months of comparatively slower price growth.
The JEC reported that energy prices experienced the sharpest annual increase among major categories, with energy inflation reaching 17.87 percent year-over-year in April, representing a 21.61 percentage point increase compared to April 2025.
Food prices also increased year-over-year. According to the report, food inflation reached 3.18 percent in April, 0.42 percentage points higher than the same period last year.
Regionally, inflation rose across all major areas of the country between March and April. The Northeast recorded the highest inflation rate at 4.4 percent, followed by the Midwest at 4.1 percent and the South at 3.6 percent. The West recorded the lowest regional inflation rate at 3.5 percent.
While the West recorded the nation’s lowest regional inflation rate, the 3.5 percent increase still remained above the Federal Reserve’s long-term two percent inflation target. Declining real wages indicate that inflation continued to outpace earnings growth for many workers during the month, reducing purchasing power despite nominal wage increases.
The JEC’s Monthly Inflation Update compiles and analyzes federal inflation data released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The report also found that inflation-adjusted earnings declined during the month.
According to the JEC, real average weekly earnings for all employees decreased by 0.19 percent from March to April. Real average hourly earnings declined by 0.53 percent year-over-year, representing a 0.44 percentage point decrease compared to April 2025.
Matthew Holloway is a senior reporter for AZ Free News. Follow him on X for his latest stories, or email tips to Matthew@azfreenews.com.