by Staff Reporter | Mar 21, 2026 | News
By Staff Reporter |
Arizona is proving to be a key bridge between deadly drug traffickers and Americans.
Out of the nearly five million fentanyl pills and powder seized in its most recent enforcement action by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), about three million came from Arizona.
The DEA disclosed this discovery within its action, the second phase of Operation Fentanyl Free America, in an exclusive report to ABC15. The second phase occurred from early January to early February.
The 4.7 million fentanyl pills and 3,000 pounds of fentanyl powder amounted to over 57 million deadly doses of fentanyl. The DEA also seized 147,800 pounds of cocaine, 21,000 pounds of meth, over 26 million meth pills, 1,200 pounds of heroin, 65,000 pounds of illicit marijuana, and over 1,500 firearms.
Arizona consistently leads in fentanyl pill seizures, per the DEA. Special Agent in Charge Apolonio Ruiz said Arizona’s border remains very accessible to cartels and their drug traffickers.
“The Sinaloa Cartel, they have tentacles not only on the south side but pushed over here on the north side. They bring cell members here to develop and start shops in these areas and start pushing the drugs into different areas of Arizona,” said Ruiz.
The DEA plans to roll out more phases of Operation Fentanyl Free America, and agents will target other illicit drugs in addition to fentanyl — heroin, meth, and cocaine — as well as the money and equipment used in the criminal enterprise.
In the fall of 2024, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) seized the largest singular fentanyl seizure in CBP history: approximately four million fentanyl pills.
The seizure weighed over 1,000 pounds.
Last January, three men from Arizona were arrested in Wisconsin over the largest fentanyl seizure in that state’s history. Over 40 pounds of fentanyl disguised as prescription medication were taken. The drugs were estimated to be worth nearly $6 million.
Two of the three men, Dylan and Trevor Hock, were convicted. Dylan received 10 years of prison and 10 years of extended supervision. Trevor also received 10 years in prison. The third man, Jose Gamez, is awaiting trial.
Drug traffickers don’t just use Arizona as a front door to bring in fentanyl and other illicit drugs to the rest of the country.
Fentanyl emerged rapidly during the pandemic as the top drug epidemic in Arizona, then the nation. Fentanyl overtook meth as the deadliest drug in the state. Fentanyl deaths increased by nearly 5,000 percent since 2015.
At present, an average of over three people die every day in Maricopa County due to fentanyl. Similarly, over five people die from opioid overdoses throughout the state, most due to fentanyl.
Last year, there were over 4,900 verified non-fatal opioid overdose events. There were over 2,000 deaths.
The totals for 2025 marked an increase from 2024. Non-fatal opioid overdose events were about 4,000, and there were just under 1,700 opioid deaths.
So far in 2026, there have been over 600 verified non-fatal opioid overdose events and 30 confirmed opioid deaths.
AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.
by Staff Reporter | Mar 20, 2026 | News
By Staff Reporter |
The Arizona House passed new regulations addressing nicotine products that allegedly target children.
HB 4001 passed out of the House on Monday, 32-19.
The bill passed with majority support from Republican members. Five Democratic members and three Republican members voted against the bill.
Arizona law prohibits individuals under the age of 21 from purchasing or possessing tobacco or vapor products.
HB 4001, as passed by the House, would prohibit marketing, advertising, or selling alternative nicotine products in containers depicting any cartoon character mimicking a character primarily aimed at entertaining, mimicking a trademark or a symbol aimed at minors, including the image or name of a celebrity, or meaning to disguise the appearance of an alternative nicotine product.
The bill would also expand the powers and requirements for the Department of Liquor Licenses and Control (DLLC) to enforce laws against the sale or possession of alternative nicotine products to those under 21. Come 2028, the legislation would also require individuals to obtain licenses for the sale and manufacture of alternative nicotine products. Those licenses would need renewal every two years.
State Rep. Jeff Weninger (R-LD13) said in a statement that the legislation strengthens state oversight of the nicotine market.
“Arizona should not tolerate a market where nicotine products are packaged to look like toys and sold with weak oversight,” said Weninger. “This bill puts guardrails in place, holds bad actors accountable, and makes clear that if you are in this business, you are going to follow the law.”
State Rep. Cesar Aguilar (D-LD26) said the “fine print” of the bill would prevent Attorney General Kris Mayes from taking action against vaping companies. Aguilar accused Weninger of pushing a bill backed by Big Tobacco and vape retailers. Aguilar took particular issue with the $10,000 fine for individuals who distribute, manufacture, or sell alternative nicotine products without a license, arguing it was too low.
“They don’t care about our children, they care about their pockets. If we really wanted to protect youth of Arizona, we would empower the attorney general to go after these predatory companies, not take away [her] power to enforce,” said Aguilar.
State Rep. Alexander Kolodin (R-LD3) argued against the bill for different reasons. Kolodin said the legislature shouldn’t be focused on expanding regulatory oversight. Instead, Kolodin advocated for the legislature to take a hands-off approach so parents could address the issue.
“Let the parents of Arizona decide how they’re going to monitor and discipline their kids to make sure their kids are not accessing anything they’re not supposed to be accessing,” said Kolodin. “50 years ago that concept in this country was common sense, and I have no idea why this body has chosen so often to depart from it, but I choose not to.”
Weninger defended his bill from the bipartisan naysayers. He emphasized the legislation’s focus was necessary to hold manufacturers, distributors, and retailers responsible for enticing children with nicotine products.
“The status quo is, kids are in the high school bathrooms vaping and smoking because it’s being sold to minors. This would severely penalize those people,” said Weninger.
Weninger indicated the Senate may have more amendments for his bill, but he didn’t specify what those would entail.
AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.
by Staff Reporter | Mar 20, 2026 | News
By Staff Reporter |
Congressman Abe Hamadeh (R-AZ-08) successfully convinced the FDA to reverse its decision to remove desiccated thyroid medications from the market.
The congressman issued a press release last week detailing this latest development in the ongoing battle between patient autonomy and federal oversight. Hamadeh explained that the FDA won’t take action to pull DTE medications from the market while companies work toward formal FDA approval.
The usage of DTE in medications predated the creation of the FDA; they were grandfathered in due to their safety and efficacy. Conservative government estimates placed DTE users at 1.5 million in 2024.
Hamadeh clarified that DTE patients will be able to continue getting their prescriptions without interruption, but that the FDA course reversal doesn’t constitute a permanent approval. The FDA noted in an update last week that it changed course to a “risk-based enforcement approach” rather than a blanket removal, and pledged to issue formal draft guidance on compliance priorities by this August.
“As I have said before, it was clear to me based on the feedback that I have received from countless constituents that the FDA’s action against these medications was likely not science-based,” stated Hamadeh. “So, I did not hesitate to question the FDA’s action that many of my constituents believe would negatively impact their quality of life.”
Certain hypothyroid patients rely on these natural thyroid medications, or desiccated thyroid extract (DTE), due to inefficacy or adverse reactions to the synthetic, FDA-approved alternative. DTE medications are made from dried, ground animal thyroid glands (usually porcine).
Most medical practitioners default to the prescription of the synthetic thyroid drug levothyroxine, approved by the FDA in 2000. These and several other synthetic thyroid drugs approved by the FDA provide only one of the two main hormones produced by the thyroid gland, T3 and T4. Unlike their synthetic counterparts, DTE medications provide both T3 and T4.
Last August, the FDA announced it would make DTE medications unavailable within a year at the direction of Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) Director George Tidmarsh. Tidmarsh had assumed leadership of CDER just one month before the enforcement action — his very first on the job.
Three months later, in November, Tidmarsh resigned following allegations in a lawsuit that he used his CDER power to harm a former associate, Kevin Tang, by taking enforcement actions against certain drugs — including several DTE medications.
According to the lawsuit, Tidmarsh was accused of attempting to extort American Laboratories, in which Tang was board chair, shortly after the FDA announced its enforcement action.
American Laboratories manufactures Armour Thyroid and NP Thyroid, two of the top brand names for DTE medications. The two drugs constitute their core product line.
Over a month later, Tidmarsh turned his attention to a different drug manufactured by another company chaired by Kevin Tang, Aurinia Pharmaceuticals. In a since-deleted LinkedIn post, Tidmarsh made various accusations against the company’s nephritis drug, voclosporin, which the company alleged were false and defamatory.
LinkedIn appears to be a means by which Tidmarsh would put his former associates on notice. In the months leading up to his appointment as CDER director last July, Tidmarsh warned in another LinkedIn post that his first course of action would be to ban DTE medications.
“The new FDA needs to remove harmful, useless drugs from the market. Let’s start with desiccated thyroid extract,” said Tidmarsh. “An unapproved, crude pig tissue extract that is proven worse than synthetic thyroid hormone and harmful. Working with the new FDA to remove it permanently from the market.”
Following public reporting on Tidmarsh’s resignation and the accusations against him, Hamadeh urged FDA Commissioner Makary to withdraw or indefinitely suspend enforcement actions against DTE medications.
Despite Tidmarsh’s exit, the FDA maintains its claim that its concerns with DTE medications originate not with the personal vendettas of its former director, but with patient complaints and reports of adverse events. The FDA didn’t provide further detail on these alleged complaints or reports.
The FDA Adverse Event Reporting System (FAERS) reflected DTE medications having over 3,000 cases from 1970 to 2026. Less than 400 complaints were of the drugs being ineffective and less than 60 reports were of death as a reaction. AZ Free News included all available top name-brand and generic naming of DTE medications in our search: Armour Thyroid, NP Thyroid, Thyroid, Nature-Throid, and porcine thyroid.
Conversely, levothyroxine and its name-brand counterpart, Synthroid, alone accumulated over 46,000 cases of suspected adverse events since 2000, of which nearly 4,000 complaints were of the drugs being ineffective. The synthetic drugs have over 1,000 reports of death as a reaction.
AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.
by Staff Reporter | Mar 19, 2026 | Education, News
By Staff Reporter |
The honor colleges at all three of the state’s universities are mandating courses educating students on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI).
The Goldwater Institute detailed two of the three colleges in a newly released investigatory report, “Desert Brain Drain.”
The three honors colleges in Arizona are Barrett Honors College at Arizona State University (ASU), which has about 7,500 students enrolled; the Honors College at Northern Arizona University (NAU), which has about 1,500 students enrolled; and the W.A. Franke Honors College at University of Arizona (U of A), which has about 4,500 students enrolled.
The Goldwater Institute found through public records that one of ASU Barrett Honors College’s required courses, The Human Event, hid a majority (85 percent) of its syllabi from the online catalog. ASU waited nearly a year to respond to Goldwater’s records requests on the hidden spring 2025 syllabi, and in its response, it redacted the names of the professors associated with the courses with the hidden syllabi.
Those records did reveal that 70 percent of the hidden syllabi from the spring 2025 catalog contained DEI content focusing on the alleged systemic oppression of certain identities related to race, gender, and sexual orientation.
Among the topics advanced by these hidden syllabi were the critical race theory concept of anti-racism, land acknowledgements, explorations of sexuality, decolonization, secularization, globalization, and transgenderism — with some content being graphic.
The W.A. Franke Honors College at U of A requires students to choose among the courses offered within its Honors Seminar, many which focus on DEI subjects similar to those presented by ASU Barrett Honors College required courses. Several courses focused on deconstruction of personal identity within the context of social justice, breaking down the idea of the self through the recognition of personal identities — race, gender, religion, class, and “social violence” — and recontextualizing the fractured and rebuilt self on political activism.
Although NAU Honors College was not included within the Goldwater Institute’s report, their primary required course (HON 190: Honors Colloquium) contained similar explorations of identity-based systemic oppression.
The spring 2026 semester came with two class options for the mandatory course, taught by professors Perry Davidson and Dina Yordy.
Davidson’s class requires students to read three novels challenging religion and embracing secularism: the classic work, “The Great Gatsby,” “Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit,” in which a lesbian leaves the Pentecostal community she grew up in, and “So Far From God,” in which characters serve to display criticisms of Catholicism and patriarchal structures while exploring decolonization and political activism.
Yordy’s class requires students to read three works as well: “The Piano Lesson,” a play about a Black family’s history with slavery and systemic racism, “We Have Always Lived in the Castle,” a novel about the persecution of a family by the intolerant religious townspeople, and “Home,” a novel advocating for the social justice understanding of homes through discussions of homelessness and immigration.
Timothy Minella, Goldwater Institute’s Director of Higher Education, argued in a press release that DEI shouldn’t be a requirement for Honors degrees at public universities.
“This isn’t just an Arizona problem,” he said. “Taxpayers and lawmakers across the country should pay attention to what’s happening in their universities and not sit idly by while activist professors indoctrinate our next generation of leaders on the public dime.”
Although the Arizona legislature has not been successful in its attempts to ban DEI in higher education, President Donald Trump did issue a series of executive orders last spring to cut off federal funding for entities advancing DEI. Those orders have been challenged and even struck down in court.
In an effort to circumvent these judicial challenges, the General Services Administration recently announced a proposed rule change blocking federal funding for schools implementing DEI.
Goldwater’s full report can be found here.
AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.
by Staff Reporter | Mar 18, 2026 | Education, News
By Staff Reporter |
Gov. Katie Hobbs fired an Arizona State Board of Education (ASBE) member following pressure from a public school activist group, email records revealed.
The emails obtained and published by FOIAzona revealed that Hobbs heeded a demand from Save Our Schools Arizona (SOSAZ) to fire former ASBE member Jenny Clark due to her general support for school choice.
SOSAZ led a ballot initiative in 2022 in an attempt to overturn the legislation that universalized Arizona’s school choice within the Empowerment Scholarship Account (ESA) Program. The effort was unsuccessful after SOSAZ far overestimated their signature numbers when they turned in their signature sheets.
SOSAZ lobbyist Beth Lewis emailed Hobbs chief of staff Chad Campbell and deputy chief of staff Lourdes Pena in January of last year with the demand to fire Clark and another board member, Katherine Haley. Lewis alleged the pair were “anti-public school” due to their school choice affiliations.
Lewis recommended Hobbs replace Clark with an ESA parent of a special needs student, suggesting Kathy Boltz, a member of the SOSAZ board. Haley’s recommended replacement was Alison Bruening-Hamati, an administrator with the Tempe Elementary School District.
Three days after that initial email, Lewis sent a follow-up email to stress the urgency of both Clark and Haley’s removals, citing an upcoming (at the time) ASBE meeting to update the ESA Parent handbook.
Pena responded that they had “a plan in place to replace Clark,” and that they were holding “more ongoing convos” about Haley. Not much later, the former would be given the boot. For unknown reasons, the latter was permitted to remain on the board.
A little over three weeks later, Clark announced on social media that Hobbs’ office ignored her refusal to resign and notified her of a forthcoming letter confirming the end of her term. When that letter hadn’t arrived six days later, Clark again posted online to notify of the absence of the letter. Within hours, the governor’s office sent a letter notifying Clark that she had been replaced since her term had expired.
Several other members of the board were serving on expired terms when Hobbs ousted Clark. However, in a letter last March announcing the appointment of Lupita Hightower to replace former ASBE board member Anna Tovar, Hobbs’ office claimed no other ASBE members were serving expired terms. However, that was not true.
Haley, now the president, had her term expire last January. Both vice president Scott Hagerman and Jason Catanese had their terms expire in January 2024.
At the time of Hobbs’ letter last March, Karla Phillips-Krivickas and Jacqui Clay had unexpired terms. However, both of their terms expired this January.
Hightower did not replace Clark. Kathleen Wiebke, whose term was set to expire in 2029, replaced Clark last March but passed away in December.
ASBE also has two vacancies at present, one seat for a public member and one seat for a charter school administrator.
In all, five of the 11 board members are serving on expired terms and two are vacant.
Lewis, the author of the emails, responded that the publishing of her emails was “hilariously stupid” and accused the women she sought to remove from ASBE as “working to destroy public education.”
“[Y]all are just pearl clutching — take luck!” said Lewis.
AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.