Phoenix Council Votes To Restrict ICE Operations On City Property

Phoenix Council Votes To Restrict ICE Operations On City Property

By Staff Reporter |

The city of Phoenix approved a resolution that will limit Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) operations despite a warning from Arizona Senate Majority Leader John Kavanaugh (R-LD3) against taking such an action. 

The resolution by the Phoenix City Council will effectively prohibit immigration-related law enforcement operations on property owned or controlled by the city. In order for federal law enforcement to do their job, the resolution declares they will need to obtain permission from the city — specifically, Phoenix Police Chief Michael Giordano. 

Kavanagh called the resolution “meaningless” in an interview with The Center Square, stating that both Arizona and federal law require cooperation with immigration enforcement. The majority leader accused city of Phoenix leadership of “pandering for votes” disguised as policy.

“ICE is not going to listen to them. They have no control over what ICE does in public places, so they can’t even prevent that,” said Kavanagh.

Even after Kavanagh’s warning, Phoenix City Council voted 8-1 to restrict ICE from using city property in its approved resolution on Wednesday.

“Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, using City property as a staging area, processing location, or operations base for civil law enforcement actions, unless approved by the City Manager or their designee,” stated the resolution. 

Councilmembers said the vote represented their commitment to protecting all Phoenix residents.

Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego said mass deportations had no positive impact on public safety were “un-American and shameful.” Gallego accused ICE of violating civil rights and committing crimes.

Last month, Gallego and the city council promised to frustrate federal immigration enforcement efforts in a joint press release. They met with residents and sought counsel to determine a pathway for resisting ICE.

Out of these meetings, city leadership developed a response framework, which included the policy framework to allow a restriction on immigration enforcement activities on city property. 

Other aspects of the framework included the city’s decision to employ local law enforcement resources to investigate and prosecute federal immigration enforcement. 

The city will create an online public complaint portal to document and track allegations of criminal and civil rights violations by federal immigration enforcement, with the intent to submit the reports as criminal referrals to the attorney general’s office. This portal will be connected to one created by the attorney general. 

The city will also collect data on immigration enforcement impacts to businesses and city services such as police, fire, the community assistance program, and the office of accountability and transparency.

Along with the portal, the city will create a website detailing the civil rights that immigrants have and sharing data related to community transparency initiative directives. This site and others, including the complaint portal, will have translation capabilities.

The city will require employees to undergo training on how to respond to federal enforcement actions.

In all these efforts, the city of Phoenix will work closely with the attorney general, Tucson, and Flagstaff, and share information with congressional representatives and community-based organizations.

On Monday ICE agents began assisting TSA agents with processing Phoenix Sky Harbor passengers at security checkpoints.

Most travelers expressed support for the ICE presence. 

AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.

Maricopa County Board Of Supervisors Extends Ban On New Government Regulations

Maricopa County Board Of Supervisors Extends Ban On New Government Regulations

By Ethan Faverino |

This week, the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors kept a tradition going when they unanimously approved a resolution to extend a moratorium on new county government regulations.

The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors first adopted the moratorium in 2013 and was effective until the end of 2017. The Board then extended the moratorium in 2019, 2021, 2023, and 2025.

This most recent extension lasts until December 31, 2026.

The moratorium prohibits all county departments from initiating any ordinance, rule, or regulation except in emergencies, when approved by a majority of the Board of Supervisors and when such a regulation would prevent a significant threat to public health, peace, or safety.

“The extension of this moratorium provides stability for current businesses to thrive and grow in Maricopa County,” said Board of Supervisors Vice Chair, Debbie Lesko, District 4 in a press release. “It will also encourage new businesses to setup shop in Maricopa County, because they won’t have to navigate unnecessary rules and costs to do business.”

“As a business owner myself, I understand how much unnecessary regulations can get in the way of progress and innovation,” said Supervisor Mark Stewart, District 1. “At the end of the day, our job as the Board of Supervisors is to provide peak conditions for our economy to grow while maintaining quality of life for residents. The extension of this moratorium does just that.”

Deregulation is in the air this month.

Earlier this month, Maricopa County officials also announced that a recent determination from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will not trigger additional air quality regulations for the region, maintaining its current “moderate” nonattainment classification under federal ozone standards.

According to a County press release, the County remains designated as a “moderate” nonattainment area under the 2015 8-hour ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS), meaning ozone levels in parts of the region continue to exceed federal limits. However, the County has avoided a “serious” classification, which would increase regulatory burdens on industry.

Ethan Faverino is a reporter for AZ Free News. You can send him news tips using this link.

‘No Kings’ Activists Plan To Take Over Arizona Cities This Weekend

‘No Kings’ Activists Plan To Take Over Arizona Cities This Weekend

By Staff Reporter |

Protests against President Donald Trump over his mass deportation policies are scheduled to take over the streets across dozens of Arizona cities this weekend. 

The protests were coordinated through the national “No Kings” organization. “No Kings” refers to the belief that Trump has overreached in his powers, much like a monarchy, based on the drastic increase in federal immigration enforcement actions. The organization coordinated protests last spring, summer, and fall. 

Over 7 million activists attended over 2,700 protests across the nation during the latest designated No Kings protest day last October.

Last year’s No Kings protests presented problems as some devolved into looting and rioting. 

Some who hit the streets under the pretense of protest committed crimes that targeted law enforcement and local businesses.

Activists on the lookout for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents have targeted local law enforcement under suspicion of their affiliation with the federal agency. Officers conducting operations and arrests for crimes other than immigration have faced off against violent rioters attempting to disrupt what they believe to be deportation proceedings. 

Such was the case in one incident last summer when anti-ICE activists assaulted a Peoria police officer participating in a narcotics raid. 

Saturday’s No Kings protests are scheduled to occur in Ajo, Anthem, Apache Junction, Arivaca, Bisbee, Bullhead City, Casas Adobes, Casa Grande, Chandler, Cottonwood, Douglas, Flagstaff, Florence, Fountain Hills, Gilbert, Glendale, Globe, Goodyear, Green Valley, Kingman, Lake Havasu City, Marana, Maricopa, Mesa, Nogales, Oro Valley, Patagonia, Payson, Phoenix, Prescott, Quartzsite, Queen Creek, Safford, Sahuarita, Scottsdale, Sedona, Show Low, Sierra Vista, Sun City, Sun City West, Superior, Surprise, Tempe, Tubac, Tucson, Tucson Estates, Vail, Willcox, Winslow, and Yuma.

The No Kings coalition has over 200 partners backing it, including: Accountable.Us, American Federation of Teachers, American Federation of Government Employees, ACLU, Bernie Sanders campaign, College Democrats of America, Freedom From Religion Foundation, Greenpeace, Human Rights Campaign, Indivisible, NextGen America, Planned Parenthood, and Sierra Club.

The primary coordinators behind the initial formation of No Kings were the organizations Indivisible and 50501.

The 50501 movement has a chapter in Arizona, which has a private Facebook group containing over 6,500 members. This chapter’s online administrators include Tucson resident Scott Jackson; Erica Connell, a Phoenix drag performer who goes by the name “Weird Violet”; and Gilbert resident Kristin Clement.  

Activists aligned with the 50501 movement attempted to breach the Arizona Capitol last February. 

Other local activist organizations have played a role in organizing No Kings protests as well. Among these are the Party for Socialism and Liberation in Phoenix, East Valley Unite AZ, Gilbert Good Trouble, Mesa Valley Indivisible, Rural Arizona Action, Instituto Power, Progress Arizona, LUCHA Arizona, AZ Resistance Front, and United Campus Workers of Arizona.

Earlier this month, anti-ICE activists disrupted proceedings in the Arizona legislature to protest deportations. 

In addition to educating illegal aliens on avoiding immigration enforcement, these organizations have encouraged the use of hotlines to report and track the whereabouts of federal agents. One hotline, “Migra Watch,” has dedicated caller hotlines for Phoenix, Flagstaff, Tucson, and rural areas, and a text hotline as well. 

Financial data revealed tens of millions of federal dollars flowing into the organizations throwing their support behind No Kings protests.

AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.

Ciscomani’s ‘Pay Our Homeland Defenders Act’ Passes U.S. House

Ciscomani’s ‘Pay Our Homeland Defenders Act’ Passes U.S. House

By Matthew Holloway |

Legislation sponsored by Rep. Juan Ciscomani (R-AZ06) to fund the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and ensure pay for federal security personnel passed the U.S. House of Representatives with bipartisan support this week.

According to a press release from Ciscomani’s office, the “Pay Our Homeland Defenders Act (H.R. 8029)” would fund DHS operations and provide pay for personnel, including Transportation Security Administration (TSA) agents, U.S. Coast Guard members, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) employees, Secret Service personnel, and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) staff.

Ciscomani said the bill passed with support from all House Republicans and several Democrats.

“We just voted on my bill, the Pay Our Homeland Defenders Act, and it passed with bipartisan support,” Ciscomani said in a video statement released following the vote. “There’s clearly a need and a sign that we have to fund the Department of Homeland Security entirely.”

Ciscomani, who serves as vice chair of the Homeland Security Committee, said he worked on the legislation and that negotiations included members of both parties.

“This bill was negotiated with Democrats until the majority of the Democrats started playing politics with this issue,” Ciscomani said. “That doesn’t pay our TSA agents, our Coast Guard, CISA and cybersecurity, Secret Service, FEMA—the money that Arizona needs, especially during the summer and fires. So this all gets funded in this bill.”

The legislation comes as DHS funding and employee pay have been at issue amid broader federal budget negotiations.

In an opinion column published by the Arizona Daily Star, Ciscomani urged the U.S. Senate to take up the legislation and ensure continued funding for DHS personnel.

In the column, Ciscomani wrote that DHS employees “work every day to keep Americans safe,” and argued that they “should not be used as leverage in political fights in Washington.”

He also called on the Senate to act without delay, writing that lawmakers should “pass this legislation immediately and ensure our homeland defenders receive the pay they have earned.”

The bill now advances to the U.S. Senate for consideration.

“I call on the senators… to pass this immediately,” Ciscomani said. “And I specifically call on the Arizona senators to get this done.”

The measure would provide funding for DHS operations, which include aviation security, border security, disaster response, and cybersecurity efforts.

As of publication, the Senate has not yet taken action on the bill.

Matthew Holloway is a senior reporter for AZ Free News. Follow him on X for his latest stories, or email tips to Matthew@azfreenews.com.

Maricopa County Assessor’s Office Launches Free Bulk Data Downloads

Maricopa County Assessor’s Office Launches Free Bulk Data Downloads

By Ethan Faverino |

The Maricopa County Assessor’s Office announced a significant expansion of public access to property information with the launch of a new online Data Downloads page. Users can now freely download detailed bulk datasets and comprehensive property reports directly from the Assessors website—no formal requests or fees required.

Previously, these extensive reports and datasets were available only through time-consuming formal public records requests or by purchase. With the successful implementation of the AA-GAMA assessment system in October 2022, the Assessor’s Office has automated the generation of these files, dramatically reducing staff time and making the information instantly accessible.

“This is another step forward in our commitment to transparency and exceptional customer service,” explained Maricopa County Assessor Eddie Cook. “Our team has worked hard to modernize our systems so property owners and members of the public can get the information they need without barriers, delays, or unnecessary costs. Making these datasets freely available helps ensure our property tax system remains open, accessible, and easy to understand.”

The new Data Downloads page features more than a dozen different reports and bulk files, including valuable geospatial data. In addition to these bulk options, users can still search for and view detailed information on individual parcels or accounts directly through the Assessor’s Office website.

The initiative reflects the Assessor’s ongoing efforts to leverage technology to serve Maricopa County residents more efficiently while maintaining the highest standards of openness in government operations.

Ethan Faverino is a reporter for AZ Free News. You can send him news tips using this link.

Trans Antifa Member Mayes Declined To Charge With Murder Threatens Gun Violence Again

Trans Antifa Member Mayes Declined To Charge With Murder Threatens Gun Violence Again

By Staff Reporter |

The transgender Muslim Antifa activist whom Attorney General Kris Mayes declined to prosecute for a 2024 murder has once again threatened gun violence ahead of scheduled anti-Trump protests.

Sumayyah Dawud posted the threat on Facebook last week. Dawud fatally shot Paul Franco, 51, on July 4, 2024.

By Franco’s girlfriend’s account, Franco was shot while defending Renteria from Dawud and other pro-Palestine protesters that had followed them home. By the protesters’ account, Franco instigated the confrontation, and was shot after he attacked a protester who assaulted Renteria. 

In his most recent post, Dawud included a quote from Malcom X which warns that freedom doesn’t come peacefully. 

“Armed resistance is the answer to oppression and violence,” said Dawud. “Not love, hugs, and peace with our enemies.”

Dawud identifies as a woman. His former aliases were Britney Erica Austin and Eric Austin.

Following Franco’s slaying, Dawud had his counsel through the People’s Law Firm submit a letter to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office (MCAO) defending the shooting as self-defense, as reported by ABC15. 

After some investigating, Phoenix Police Department (PPD) executed a search warrant on Dawud’s home. At the beginning of last year, PPD stated probable cause existed to charge Dawud with murder. Specifically, PPD recommended filing charges for second-degree murder and discharging a firearm within city limits.

Attorney General Mayes received this recommendation sometime around January 2025. The MCAO also referred the case to Mayes. Their agency recused itself because Dawud was involved in an ongoing lawsuit against them and PPD over his arrest during a Black Lives Matter riot in 2020. 

Mayes’ office has not acted on those referrals. Without any charges pending, Dawud is free to attend another protest that could turn violent, based on the previous No Kings protests across the Valley last year.

Dawud issued his most recent comment advocating for gun violence just days before another series of scheduled No Kings protests are to occur. 

Renteria recalled how Dawud approached Franco and shot him.

“I just remember a black shadow just walking up to Paul and then shooting him,” said Renteria. 

In another post from last month, Dawud expressed a desire to burn down the planned ICE facility in Surprise.

“I am glad that ICE facility being built in Surprise was vandalized,” said Dawud. “Too bad it wasn’t burned to the f*****g ground.” 

Per his social media posts, Dawud has been a constant presence at protests outside of ICE facilities. 

In a recent post discussing white colonialism, Dawud made the argument that white people needed to martyr themselves for black and brown people, especially during protests. Franco, who Dawud shot, was a man of color and a father.

“White people have the most privilege. White people are occupying stolen land. And for the most part, white people don’t do s**t,” said Dawud. “There’s nothing a White person experiences here on Turtle Island that a person of color doesn’t experience ten times worse.”

Turtle Island refers to a Native American name for North America.

AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.