At least five individuals have been arrested in connection to various attacks in the Valley allegedly carried out by members of a violent group known as the “Gilbert Goons.”
Those arrested with an alleged connection to the violent group so far: Aris Arredondo, 18; Christopher Fantastic, 18; Jacob Pennington, 20; and two 16-year-old juveniles.
At least one individual, Jacob Pennington, admitted his involvement with the violent group in a statement to police. Pennington also claimed the name “Gilbert Goons” came from a Snapchat group chat.
On 11/18/23, PCSO was called in reference to an altercation in the desert area off of N. Wagon Wheel Rd. and W. Sun Dance Dr. in San Tan Valley. A 16yo male victim sustained minor injuries and declined medical treatment. He was not able to immediately identify his attackers. pic.twitter.com/gqZkHUl98E
Jacob’s brother, Noah, was arrested at least four times last year for apparently unrelated incidents of aggravated assault, drug possession/use, carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, disorderly assault, and aggravated robbery.
Suspected members of the Gilbert Goons’ social media footprint was large prior to this slew of arrests. Independent internet sleuths and Gilbert locals have come forward to identify others potentially involved with the violent group, citing screenshots and active links to various profiles and postings on Snapchat, TikTok, Instagram, and Soundcloud.
Investigations into the violent group picked up after the murder of 16-year-old Preston Lord in Queen Creek last Halloween and subsequent assaults across the Valley. For most locals and involved Arizonans, the Gilbert Goons’ involvement in Lord’s death is all but confirmed. Police have not linked Preston’s murder to the group.
There are reports that up to 40 individuals have involvement with the Gilbert Goons. The Gilbert Police Department (GPD) has asked for the public’s help in identifying other members or affiliates of the group based on photo and video evidence they’ve obtained of attacks dating back to 2022.
In addition to GPD, the following law enforcement agencies are involved in investigating the Gilbert Goons: the Arizona Gang & Immigration Intelligence Team Enforcement Mission (GIITEM), Pinal County Sheriff’s Office (PCSO), and the Chandler, Mesa, and Queen Creek police departments.
The agencies are working to determine whether the Gilbert Goons may be classified as a criminal street gang (A.R.S. § 13-105). Arizona statute qualifies criminal street gang membership as a class 2 felony, while serving as an accomplice is a class 3 felony.
In a statement at Tuesday’s town council meeting, GPD Chief Michael Soelberg relayed that public information would be limited so as not to jeopardize ongoing investigations.
“We are combing through every detail of our past assault cases and arrests involving youth to determine if there are any connections or correlations and what are the relationships, if any, between those involved,” said Soelberg.
The Queen Creek Police Department is handling the investigation for the culprits behind the death of Preston Lord. As of Tuesday, GPD had nine active investigations related to the Gilbert Goons: four reopened and five new investigations.
In a press conference on Wednesday, the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office (MCAO) said that the case report on the Gilbert Goons included over 2,000 pieces of evidence making up just shy of 2,000 pages. Over 600 pieces of evidence are videos.
Corinne Murdock is a reporter for AZ Free News. Follow her latest on Twitter, or email tips to corinne@azfreenews.com.
Pro-life activists have launched a new campaign to oppose a constitutional amendment that would legalize abortion up to birth in Arizona.
The campaign, “It Goes Too Far” (IGTF), aims to prevent the Arizona Abortion Access Act from qualifying for the ballot this November. In a press release, IGTF campaign manager Leisa Brug said that the amendment would jeopardize the safety of girls and women.
“Arizona abortion laws should protect girls and women, not put them at greater risk, but this amendment asks voters to expand abortion while cutting safety precautions,” said Brug. “What happened to the prized doctor-patient relationship? This takes the required qualified medical doctor out of the doctor-patient relationship and leaves women in the hands of unqualified providers. That is not making the health and safety of women a priority.”
IGTF argues that the abortion amendment would strip the state of any lawmaking authority concerning abortion, including safeguards and parental notice for minors, and would allow abortions up until birth. For the latter claim, IGTF cites the amendment language allowing post-viability exceptions for abortions in cases where a health care professional determines the pregnancy jeopardizes the mother’s mental health.
The activists further claim that the amendment language allowing any “health care professional” to conduct abortions would endanger women by expanding lawful abortionists to include non-physicians and non-doctors. Additionally, IGTF argues that sex abusers would be protected under the amendment’s prohibition against any state laws or regulations penalizing those who aid or assist the mothers obtaining abortions.
IGTF also argues that individuals would be required to finance and even assist in abortions due to language enshrining abortion as a “fundamental right.” The activists say that a lack of taxpayer funding for abortions or a health care professional’s conscience against providing an abortion could be construed as “interference” with obtaining an abortion.
Arizona law classifies a “health care professional” as any person licensed or certified across various chapters and titles of Arizona law, including podiatrists, chiropractors, dentists, naturopaths, nurses, optometrists, pharmacists, physical therapists, psychologists, veterinarians, acupuncturists, athletic trainers, midwives, and more.
IGTF spokeswoman Olivia Escobedo told AZ Free News that their supporters are showing up wherever Arizona Abortion Access Act signature gatherers are situated in order to educate voters on the issue.
“Our supporters are there to let people know how dangerous this amendment is,” said Escobedo. “It has so many hidden agendas in the broad language.”
As part of that effort, IGTF established a database to report where the pro-abortion signature-gatherers set up camp.
Also involved in IGTF campaign are Laureen (Laurie) Mount, co-owner of MDS Communications, and Youssef Khalaf, CEO of both 100 Squared Financial and Data Orbital. The IGTF campaign has both nonprofit and political action committee arms.
Mount and her husband, Jay, are among the top donors for the campaign, along with Dave Lambert.
Corinne Murdock is a reporter for AZ Free News. Follow her latest on Twitter, or email tips to corinne@azfreenews.com.
Arizona’s House of Representatives unanimously stood with the nation of Israel on the first day of the Second Regular Session of the 56th Legislature.
On Monday, the Arizona House and Senate resumed operations, and Speaker Ben Toma wasted no time in using the opportunity to support one of America’s staunchest allies.
Toma called for and obtained passage by unanimous consent of House Concurrent Resolution 2009, which expresses the support of his chamber for the “nation of Israel in its efforts to defend itself and its citizens from terrorism.”
Yesterday, the Arizona Legislature kicked off the 56th Second Regular Session by passing my resolution standing with Israel and calling for the elimination of Hamas. It is important for leaders to stand up for what is right. I appreciate my colleagues on both sides of the aisle…
In a statement posted to “X,” Speaker Toma said, “Yesterday, the Arizona Legislature kicked off the 56th Second Regular Session by passing my resolution standing with Israel and calling for the elimination of Hamas. It is important for leaders to stand up for what is right. I appreciate my colleagues on both sides of the aisle joining me to unanimously declare Arizona stands with Israel.”
The resolution expressed the “most heartfelt condolences” from Members “to all Israeli victims as well as their families and communities.” It also declared “support” for “Arizonans law enforcement community in its efforts to remain vigilant in protecting Israeli Americans, Jewish Americans and all supporters of Israel from acts of crime and unlawful discrimination that tend to manifest in times of turmoil.”
The Republican Speaker also co-wrote an opinion piece for the Arizona Republic on January 3, where he wrote, “we wholly condemn Hamas, categorically call for Hamas’ elimination – and strongly urge all of Arizona’s leaders, including state lawmakers, to do the same.”
"We wholly condemn Hamas, categorically call for Hamas' elimination — and strongly urge all of Arizona's leaders, including state lawmakers, to do the same."
I encourage you to read my joint op-ed with Prescott Mayor Phil Goode and Meritage Homes Executive Chairman Steve Hilton…
The resolution from the Arizona House of Representatives on Monday follows a Joint Legislative Proclamation, which was issued by Toma and Senate President Warren Petersen on October 11, to “denounce the horrific acts of war against Israel and support Israel’s right to defend itself” – among other calls to action for the Legislature. The Arizona Capitol Dome was lit ‘blue’ that week “to show Arizona’s support for Israel.”
Today a Joint Proclamation Supporting Israel has been signed by @votewarren & @RepBenToma and condemns the hateful attack on our ally. Let's turn the Capitol Dome light blue to show AZ's support for Israel.
America should deny demands from Mexico for billions of dollars in order to stop the flow of illegal immigration, according to U.S. Senate candidate Mark Lamb on Tuesday.
Lamb, a Republican and the current sheriff of Pinal County, Arizona, criticized Mexican President Lopez Obrador’s list of demands which the United States would need to meet in exchange for Mexico to help slow illegal immigration across the southern border.
“I consider the demands made by Mexico as DOA – dead on arrival,” Lamb said. “The last time I looked, the Mexican President doesn’t get to set U.S. domestic and foreign policy. I call upon the entire Arizona Congressional delegation to unite and publicly reject these conditions imposed by Mexico.”
Obrador demanded the U.S. give $20 billion to Latin American and Caribbean countries; grant work visas to 10 million Hispanics who have worked in the U.S. for at least 10 years; and end sanctions against Venezuela and halt the blockade of Cuba.
Mexico is responsible for slowing illegal immigration into America, according to Lamb.
“As our southern neighbor, the responsibility is on them to do everything they can to work with us – without preconditions – to stop the hundreds of thousands of illegals crossing our mutual border,” Lamb said. “We shouldn’t take kindly to having a gun put to our head just to have Mexico do what’s right.”
Lamb said the Mexican president’s demands are an example of President Joe Biden’s “lost control of the border.”
Border Patrol encountered 2.5 million migrants on the U.S.-Mexico border in fiscal year 2023, topping the previous year’s record, according to the Migration Policy Institute.
“It’s bad enough that Biden doesn’t have a plan to stop the hundreds of thousands of illegals crossing the border and the fentanyl that comes with them, now Biden is allowing our nation to be held hostage by the President of Mexico,” Lamb continued.
Lamb is running for Sen. Kyrsten Sinema’s seat. He has said that if elected, he will work to secure the border with Trump-era policies.
“We’ve got to shut the border down, secure the border and we’ve got to restore the ‘Remain in Mexico’ program,” Lamb told Fox News.
“We’re gonna have a mass deportation situation on our hands and so we’ve got to get back to securing the border – first and foremost – which would stop the fentanyl,” Lamb continued to Fox News. “It would weaken the cartels and allow border patrol to get back to doing their jobs because right now they are completely handcuffed.”
Elizabeth Troutman is a reporter for AZ Free News. You can send her news tips using this link.
On Tuesday, the University of Arizona (UArizona) announced a $2.5 million settlement with the family of slain Professor Thomas Meixner.
Former UArizona graduate student Murad Dervish fatally shot Meixner in October 2022. In a copy of the settlement obtained by AZ Free News, UArizona also agreed to establish and fund an endowed professorship in the Department of Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences (HAS) in Mexiner’s name.
UArizona also agreed to provide continued mental health treatment to HAS faculty, staff, and students directly and immediately affected by the shooting, as well as a tuition and fee waiver to certain HAS students directly and immediately affected by the shooting. For the latter provision, the university will apply the tuition and fee waiver prospectively and retroactively to the semester in which the events preceding the shooting began.
The Meixner family filed a notice of a claim against UArizona last March shortly after the disbanding of an independent faculty committee investigating the shooting. They originally sought $9 million from the university.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, Meixner’s wife, Kathleen, said that they’re focused on preventing similar tragedies in the future. She ended on a note of support for the university that her husband knew and loved.
“So often in the aftermath of school shootings, we learn all the ways that they could and should have been prevented. That is exactly what happened here,” said Kathleen. “My family and I will continue meeting with the University of Arizona President, its Police Chief, and multiple other members of the University administration to make certain it upholds its commitment to make our community safer. Together, we will Bear Down, and find our way forward with courage and love for the Wildcat community which Tom cherished.”
In their original claim, the Meixner family accused the university of “repeatedly ignoring the clear and present danger” that Dervish posed by “openly advertis[ing] his intent to murder.” The family’s notice offered a summary of Dervish’s actions and escalations in threats for nearly a year leading up to the shooting, as well as details of a previous order of protection against Dervish from a previous university that UArizona failed to catch.
Meixner’s family alleged that Dervish’s intentions were so well known that Meixner’s last words were: “I knew you were going to do this!” Dervish violated the terms of his expulsion and ban from campus, as well as a no contact order, prior to the shooting.
“Dr. Meixner’s murder was not a random act of violence. The university knew Dervish planned to kill him and allowed it,” said the family. “Dervish’s homicidal intentions, capacities and history, as well as his utter disregard for the university’s unenforced sanctions, were so patently obvious that the University’s multiple failures to protect Dr. Meixner constitute an outrage.”
As reported previously, Dervish had a lengthy history of violence and crime. His criminal background included three prison stints and several instances of attempted murder: a pizza man at Penn State University and his own mother. He had also assaulted his father previously.
In a video of his interrogation following the shooting, Dervish expressed satisfaction over Meixner’s death. His trial date was pushed back to this May pending a doctor’s report on Dervish’s sanity.
“Well, at least I fulfilled my mission,” said Dervish.
In a press release issued Tuesday, UArizona alluded to the terms of the settlement’s non-monetary commitments to support the well-being of those affected by the shooting, as well as their agreement to have the Meixner family assist in future planning and implementation of safety and security measures.
Corinne Murdock is a reporter for AZ Free News. Follow her latest on Twitter, or email tips to corinne@azfreenews.com.
Female athletes will rally to “save women’s sports” from biological male athletes on Thursday.
Current and former NCAA female athletes, coaches, and parents will bring signs and chants outside the 2024 National Collegiate Athletic Association Convention in Phoenix, Arizona, to ask the organization to stop discriminating against female athletes by allowing males to compete in women and girls’ sports.
“Female athletes work our entire lives to compete in sports, only to have the NCAA destroy our even playing field. This devalues female athletes and women in general,” said former NCAA swimming champion and Independent Women’s Forum ambassador Riley Gaines. “Sex-based categories are important for competitive sports just like age classifications and weight categories. We are asking very little of the NCAA. Maintain the fairness necessary for competition and safety.”
The theme of this year’s rally, sponsored by Our Bodies, Our Sports, is “We Won’t Back Down,” reflecting the group’s determination to compel the NCAA to revoke its Transgender Student-Athlete Participation Policy.
The policy allows transgender student-athlete participation for each sport to be determined by the national governing body of that sport. As a result, males who identify as females can participate in women’s sports if they suppress their testosterone for at least one year and achieve levels set by the governing bodies of their particular sport.
Hormone injections do not eliminate the male athletic advantage over females, according to a review of the scientific literature by the Independent Women’s Law Center and the Independent Women’s Forum. Without any male athletic advantage, the participation of males in women’s sports takes away opportunities for women to compete, IWF and IWLC say.
Gaines will be joined by fellow swimmers Paula Scanlan and Kaylee Alons, and volleyball player Macy Petty, to continue to call on NCAA President Charlie Baker to meet with them to hear how they were hurt by men in women’s sports.
“Shame on Charlie Baker for continuing to enforce this discriminatory policy,” said Jennifer C. Braceras, vice president for Legal Policy at Independent Women’s Form and founder of Independent Women’s Law Center. “The NCAA may not be bound by Title IX, but the schools that make up its membership are, and the NCAA has an obligation to help its member schools comply with equal opportunity mandates, not subvert them.”
The athletes, coaches, parents, and sponsor organizations will deliver a new demand letter and petition to the NCAA signed by thousands of female athletes from across the country after the rally.
This event is the fourth Our Bodies, Our Sports event. Previous events include the 2022 rally in Washington, D.C., to mark the 50th Anniversary of Title IX, the 2023 rally at the NCAA Convention in San Antonio, TX, and the 2023 rally at the USA Cycling National Championships in Knoxville, TN.
The Tennessee rally succeeded in pushing Union Cycliste Internationale to bar biological male athletes from competing in the women’s cycling division.
Elizabeth Troutman is a reporter for AZ Free News. You can send her news tips using this link.