Navajo Nation President Nygren Welcomes HHS Secretary RFK Jr.

Navajo Nation President Nygren Welcomes HHS Secretary RFK Jr.

By Matthew Holloway |

The Navajo Nation’s Democrat President Buu Nygren met with Secretary of Health and Human Services Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Council Delegate Germaine Simonson at Window Rock on Wednesday. The trio discussed the ongoing issue of access to critical healthcare on tribal land.

According to a press release issued via X, the meeting centered around “solutions rooted in sovereignty, tradition, and self-reliance.”

Kennedy, as part of his nationwide “Make America Healthy Again” tour, had previously met in Phoenix with members of the State legislature, and traveled to northern Arizona and the Navajo Nation to meet with tribal leaders including President Nygren, First Lady Jasmine Blackwater-Nygren, Speaker Crystalyne Curley, members of the 25th Navajo Nation Council, and officials from the Navajo Department of Health.

President Nygren noted in his remarks that much of the disparity and strain on the Navajo Nation healthcare system is linked to the Indian Health Services’ manpower shortage with the service currently running at a 30% vacancy rate.

Nygren emphasized that the solution must come in a way that protects the tribe’s sovereignty, however. “As President, I want to emphasize the importance of protecting and maintaining tribal sovereignty among food and healthcare for the Navajo Nation,” he said.

Answering these concerns, Kennedy expressed his support and provided a roadmap to addressing the tribal government’s concerns. “By lifting the IHS hiring freeze and rescinding the hundreds of employee terminations,” Secretary Kennedy said, “it will not happen.”

“Today we learned many things that HHS could be doing to improve the condition of Navajo health…” he added, with a focus on the need for secured water rights that will allow the Navajo to become self-sufficient once again.

In a post to X, Kennedy described his visit saying, “Today I had the pleasure to visit Navajo Nation in Window Rock, Arizona. I joined Navajo Nation President Buu Nygren and members of the Navajo Nation Council for a hike, followed by a traditional blessing and a performance of the Diné Tah Dancers.”

“We discussed Navajo Nation’s efforts to promote health and wellness within their community and how HHS can support these goals. My administration remains committed to making Indian Country a top priority.”

Buu, a Democrat, stressed in a statement that his recent trip to the White House and Kennedy’s trip to Window Rock represented an effort to work with the federal government in the Navajo Nation’s interests, regardless of partisan considerations.

He wrote,” I need our Navajo people to understand that no matter what our political party affiliation is, we must work with the federal administration – whoever is in office – to fight poverty on the Navajo Nation and to protect our interests. In the past two days, I have spoken to several federal officials to discuss the coal industry, our water rights settlements, RECA, the protection of the Indian Health Service, and social programs our people rely on. As a Nation, we must act like a Nation and work with the United States. We must work with the federal government based on our treaty and on a government-to-government basis.”

President Nygren was elected in 2022, defeating incumbent former-President Jonathan Nez by a narrow margin of less than six percent. The Navajo Nation leans heavily Democrat in most elections, however, 2024 exit polling suggested that support for the Trump administration has significantly increased with Native News Online citing polls showing President Trump received 51% of Native American votes in the presidential election.

Matthew Holloway is a senior reporter for AZ Free News. Follow him on X for his latest stories, or email tips to Matthew@azfreenews.com.

Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Targeting 3 Republican Congressmen In 2026

Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Targeting 3 Republican Congressmen In 2026

By Matthew Holloway |

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) has made it clear that it is targeting the congressional districts of Congressmen David Schweikert (AZ-01), Eli Crane (AZ-02), and Juan Ciscomani (AZ-06) in 2026.

On Wednesday the Arizona Democratic Party said it is “focused on winning these critical seats, paving the way for a Democratic House majority in 2026.” The release referred to the three Republican Congressmen as “vulnerable,” and their districts as “competitive.”

Arizona Democratic Party Chairman Robert E. Branscomb, II claimed, “Arizonans are tired of David Schweikert, Eli Crane, Juan Ciscomani and other MAGA-cronies playing politics with the issues that impact their ability to make ends meet. As a Party, we will stop at nothing to hold them accountable and to finally elect leaders who will move Arizona forward.” However, the state of play in each district doesn’t seem to be that simple.

Schweikert and Ciscomani both won their 2024 elections with 2-3% margins with Schweikert serving as Ciscomani’s CD6 predecessor before moving to CD1 with redistricting. Each of these constituencies are competitive by their nature and by design, according to the Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission (AIRC). The 2021 commission held District 1 competitiveness at a 2.6% vote spread and District 6 at a 2.4% spread, both of which proved accurate in the 2024 race.

Historically, the area that is now District 6 has seen six Republican victories and only three for the Democrats in the in the past nine statewide elections, making District 1 truly the most “competitive” with a more even split of 5 GOP victories to 4 losses per the AIRC.

The same day the Arizona Democratic Party issued their press release, both Reps. Ciscomani and Crane held telephone town hall meetings with their constituents.

The DCCC’s calculus seems to fall short with Rep. Eli Crane’s District 2 seat though, which has seen historically zero Democrat wins in the last nine races and was designed to hold a 7.2% vote spread competitively. That spread Crane decisively beat in his 9-point victory over Democrat Jonathan Nez last year.

As AZ Free News reported in February when a Democrat SuperPAC bankrolled by leftist billionaires announced they would target his seat, Crane’s response was blunt. He wrote in a post to X, “The great thing about #AZ02 is they see through phony attacks by coastal elites. Bring it.”

Given the historic makeup of these districts: two of them designed to give Democrats a chance and a third that appears nearly unassailable, the AZDems assessment of the three Congressmen as “vulnerable,” and their districts as “more “competitive than normal” seems questionable at best.

Matthew Holloway is a senior reporter for AZ Free News. Follow him on X for his latest stories, or email tips to Matthew@azfreenews.com.

Tucson Border Patrol Chief Actively Trolls Human Smugglers

Tucson Border Patrol Chief Actively Trolls Human Smugglers

By Matthew Holloway |

As news reports from various sources and DHS officials such as Secretary Kristi Noem and Border Czar Tom Homan publicly extol the effectiveness of the Border Patrol in shutting down human smuggling, Border Patrol is sharing more reports and video of their apprehensions than ever before for greater transparency. On top of that, they also appear to be actively mocking or ‘trolling’ the criminals online.

In one such post to X, Chief Patrol Agent (CPA) of the U.S. Border Patrol Tucson Sector Sean McGoffin shared a side-splittingly humorous take on an apprehension of a U.S. citizen with two prior alien smuggling arrests.

McGoffin posted, “Camo clothes don’t blend well with upholstery,” addressing the five desert camouflage-clad illegal immigrants captured with their smuggler, who were shown in images crammed into the trunk of a sedan.

The USBP Chief said in a statement, “A U.S. citizen with two prior alien smuggling arrests was again arrested trying to smuggle 5 illegal aliens through the State Route 86 immigration checkpoint. She now faces a slew of smuggling, harboring, concealment, and transportation charges under 8 USC 1324. The illegal aliens, despite 3 being dressed in camouflage, were easily spotted attempting to hide in the back seat. All 5 aliens face Inadmissibility charges, with one earning a Re-entry charge under 8 USC 1326.”

A previous post on April 9th struck a similarly jocular tone with what reads like a standard joke set up, “What happens when a cartel foot guide, a cartel affiliate, and a gang member all climb over some metal bars and into the country illegally? They get arrested because we don’t play!”

In another post on April 8th, the USBP Chief openly mocked a captured cartel smuggler for who was caught carrying “devout artifacts associated with cartel culture and displayed matching tattoos.”

The post read, “Bad Spirits will not triumph over our Nation’s Guardians! 3/29: Three Points Border Patrol Station agents arrested a human smuggler who illegally entered the U.S. through the desert on the Tohono O’odham Indian Reservation. This smuggler, who has numerous immigration violations, was identified as a faction member of the Cártel de Jalisco Nueva Generación. He carried devout artifacts associated with cartel culture and displayed matching tattoos. Jail will afford him plenty of time to think about his direction in life, as he will be charged with re-entry of a removed alien under 8 USC 1326.“

An April Fools’ Day post definitely set the tone for the more entertaining updates as well, showing a likely AI-generated image depicting McGoffin mounted upon a “Premier Patrol Llama” citing “the rising costs of maintaining horses.”

The new direction in social media may owe to the appointment of Sean McGoffin, who replaced the previous Chief John Modlin, upon his promotion to acting Deputy Commissioner. Or as a musical post to X from the White House on Thursday may illustrate, the shift in tone could be from the top-down.

Matthew Holloway is a senior reporter for AZ Free News. Follow him on X for his latest stories, or email tips to Matthew@azfreenews.com.

DOJ Ceases Legal Challenge To Arizona’s Proof Of Citizenship Laws

DOJ Ceases Legal Challenge To Arizona’s Proof Of Citizenship Laws

By Staff Reporter |

The Trump administration will no longer continue its legal challenge to Arizona’s documentary proof of citizenship (DPOC) laws.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) filed a brief on Tuesday motioning to drop the case. 

Assistant Attorney General Harmeet Dhillon filed the brief the very day after she was sworn into her position within the Civil Rights Division, alongside the controversial Interim Attorney for the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Arizona, Timothy Courchaine. 

Senate President Warren Petersen called the development “a major win for election integrity and the rule of law” in a statement Wednesday. Petersen previously submitted a letter to the DOJ requesting they drop the case. 

“The @azsenategop and @azhousegop will continue to defend this law against the special interest groups challenging it,” said Petersen. 

Petersen submitted his request letter to Attorney General Pam Bondi in mid-February. 

The case, Mi Familia Vota v. Fontes, is before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. 

Arizona’s DPOC laws required automatic rejection of Arizona state form registration submissions lacking DPOC, prohibited individuals who hadn’t provided DPOC from voting for a president or returning a ballot by mail, and added mandatory fields to the state registration form for a registrant’s birthplace and a checkbox confirmation of the applicant’s U.S. citizenship. 

Last August, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Arizona would have to accept state voter registration forms without DPOC. 

Tuesday’s motion by the DOJ was the latest in the Trump administration’s efforts to cease legal action against states’ election laws. 

Last month, the DOJ dropped multiple election-related lawsuits in Texas, Georgia, and Louisiana initiated under the Biden administration. Those lawsuits opposed voting maps and election integrity initiatives, respectively. 

President Donald Trump and his administration have also taken steps to require proof of citizenship in elections, prompting resistance from the state’s top Democratic leaders. 

Arizona Secretary of State Adrian Fontes, alongside Attorney General Kris Mayes, filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration over President Donald Trump’s recent executive order requiring DPOC to register to vote in federal elections as well as requiring all ballots to be received by Election Day. 

Last week, Mayes and Fontes held a joint press conference announcing their lawsuit and accusing Trump of “unconstitutional intrusion” on states’ rights and congressional authority regarding elections. The pair want Trump to go through — not around — Congress for any election law changes. 

“If President Trump wanted to make laws then he should have run for congress where the U.S. Constitution says that work is done,” said Fontes. “If the President wants to reshape our elections, he must propose realistic bipartisan legislation in Congress instead of forcing states into unfunded mandates through unlawful executive orders.”

“Clearly, Trump only supports state’s rights when it suits him,” said Mayes.

Last month in another case pertaining to DPOC, the Arizona Court of Appeals ruled against the Elections Procedure Manual (EPM) produced by Secretary of State Adrian Fontes. Fontes’ EPM would have allowed voters who failed to submit or couldn’t achieve verification of their DPOC.

AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.

Arizona Senate President Joins Lawsuit Seeking To Ease Regulations On Nuclear Energy

Arizona Senate President Joins Lawsuit Seeking To Ease Regulations On Nuclear Energy

By Jonathan Eberle |

Arizona Senate President Warren Petersen has joined a coalition of states and energy companies in filing a federal lawsuit aimed at reducing regulatory barriers to deploying small modular nuclear reactors (SMRs), a next-generation nuclear energy technology touted for its safety, efficiency, and potential role in transitioning to clean energy.

Filed in a U.S. District Court late Monday, the lawsuit challenges a longstanding Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) rule that subjects SMRs to the same licensing standards as large-scale nuclear reactors. Arizona joins Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Utah, and three nuclear energy firms in asking the court to set aside the rule.

“Arizona’s utility companies want to pursue SMRs, but their hands are tied with red tape,” Petersen said in a statement. “It could take decades and an unreasonable amount of money to establish plants under the current rule.”

The plaintiffs argue that the NRC’s approach contradicts the original intent of Congress, which in the 1950s envisioned a more flexible regulatory framework for smaller reactors. They contend the uniform standards are outdated and unnecessarily hinder the adoption of SMRs, which can be factory-built and installed on-site, even in rural areas.

Small modular reactors are advanced nuclear energy systems that produce significantly less power than traditional reactors—typically under 300 megawatts—but offer key advantages. They can be constructed more quickly, pose fewer safety risks, and emit nearly zero greenhouse gases. Because of their modular design, SMRs can be scaled to meet specific energy demands and are considered ideal for hard-to-reach communities or states looking to diversify their energy portfolios.

Proponents say SMRs could be a critical tool in meeting emissions targets while maintaining grid reliability and reducing dependency on fossil fuels.

The push to modernize nuclear regulation has gained traction as several states and energy companies look to expand nuclear energy options. Advocates of the lawsuit argue that reforming the licensing process could unlock billions in clean energy investment and accelerate the path toward energy independence.

Arizona’s involvement in the case reflects a broader interest among state leaders in expanding energy choices amid rising demand. Petersen’s office noted that the lawsuit aligns with broader national efforts to reduce reliance on foreign energy. For now, Arizona joins a growing list of states pushing for a regulatory framework they say better reflects technological innovation and evolving energy needs.

Jonathan Eberle is a reporter for AZ Free News. You can send him news tips using this link.

Arizona Governor Vetoes Bill Aimed At Boosting K-12 Education Funding

Arizona Governor Vetoes Bill Aimed At Boosting K-12 Education Funding

By Jonathan Eberle |

A bill designed to direct more tax revenue toward Arizona’s K-12 classrooms has been vetoed by Governor Katie Hobbs, prompting criticism from Republican lawmakers who say the measure would have strengthened public education funding.

SB 1050, sponsored by Senator Vince Leach (R-LD17), sought to amend the Government Property Lease Excise Tax (GPLET) program by prohibiting the abatement of school district-designated tax revenues. Under current law, cities and towns can lease government-owned property to private developers with reduced tax obligations, an incentive intended to promote commercial development.

The bill would have excluded school-related tax revenues from such incentives, allowing those funds to flow directly to local school districts instead of being waived under development agreements.

“This was a missed opportunity by the Governor,” said Leach. “She says she supports education funding, but her veto suggests otherwise.”

In her veto letter, Governor Hobbs explained that SB 1050 could “stunt Arizona’s economic development” by weakening a tool used by local governments to attract private investment. The GPLET program, though controversial, has been credited with revitalizing parts of urban Arizona by lowering upfront development costs in exchange for long-term gains.

Arizona schools continue to face funding pressures despite recent increases to the state’s education budget. Republican lawmakers have often pushed for reallocating existing tax revenues, while Democrats have generally sought new funding sources or changes to the state’s tax structure.

SB 1050 passed both legislative chambers before being vetoed, signaling at least some bipartisan concern about the balance between development incentives and education funding.

Senator Leach and other supporters of the bill may pursue similar legislation in future sessions or attempt a veto override, although success would require significant bipartisan support. Meanwhile, the broader debate over how to equitably fund Arizona’s public schools is likely to continue.

“This is about priorities,” Leach said. “We should be making sure our tax dollars are going to classrooms, not corporate subsidies.”

The Governor’s office has not indicated whether alternative proposals to increase school funding through tax reforms are in the works.

Jonathan Eberle is a reporter for AZ Free News. You can send him news tips using this link.