By Staff Reporter |
The Maricopa County Recorder’s Office recovered $500,000 in overcharges from the federal postal agency.
County Recorder Justin Heap reported during Wednesday’s board of supervisors meeting that the United States Postal Service (USPS) had overcharged Maricopa County for “several years,” to the tune of $500,000. The recorder advised the supervisors that their office worked with USPS to recoup those lost funds.
“We discovered the United States Postal Services has been overcharging Maricopa County for quite a few years. We have worked with them, we will be receiving a refund of $500,000 from USPS to help defray the costs of everything going forward,” said Heap. “We used to give awards in this county for people who save the county money, now we get subpoenas.”
$500,000 makes up about two percent of the recorder’s budget under the 2026 fiscal year budget. It amounts to a little over one percent of the 2025 fiscal year budget.
The revelation of the recovered $500,000 emerged during a special meeting called by the board of supervisors requiring Heap to testify on the administration of his office and claims of disenfranchisement — a meeting which Heap made clear he opposed.
“This reaches to the level of administrative interference. We’re in the middle of an election, I’ve had to pull certified election officers off of this election to spend time compiling this report and these documents to comply with this demand,” said Heap.
Heap brought the report which he said contained “thousands of pages of documents” providing evidence of his office’s administration. The recorder said the compilation of this report strained his office due to the constrained timeline of less than a week.
As to the disenfranchisement claims that emerged during Maricopa County Superior Court testimony last month, Heap said the recorder’s office has struggled in previous elections to complete provisional ballots under the condensed time frame. In order to solve that problem, Heap asked the board for an Agilis sorting machine. That sorter would cost just under $600,000.
The recorder said relying on Runbeck for provisional processing wouldn’t be advisable considering their company doesn’t connect to the county’s voter database, and the requirement of transporting the ballots to Runbeck would expose the county to chain of custody complications.
Heap said disenfranchisement hasn’t occurred “so far this year” under his administration, and that claims made during court testimony were referencing past administrations. One of the staff members who cited disenfranchisement during their testimony, chief of staff Sam Stone, retained his own counsel.
Supervisor Thomas Galvin asked Heap to explain why the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office (MCAO) said they had not approved universal mail-in ballots during last year’s congressional district 7 special election, when the recorder’s office said they had.
Heap rejected the characterization of those mail ballots. He said his office only made a proposal to send ballots to a selection of 3,000 voters who lacked a polling place, but didn’t act on it.
“This proposal was not even put in our plan to the MCAO, and we never implemented it, I’m not sure why the board has continued to hang up on a proposal that was never actually implemented,” said Heap.
AZ Free News is your #1 source for Arizona news and politics. You can send us news tips using this link.







