by Terri Jo Neff | Oct 28, 2021 | News
By Terri Jo Neff |
The Pinal County Board of Supervisors announced Wednesday that Neal Carter and Teresa Martinez will serve out two of the vacant terms in the Arizona House of Representatives.
Carter, a Republican from San Tan Valley, will fill the LD8 seat made vacant last month when Rep. Frank Pratt passed away, while Martinez will serve LD11 by finishing off the term opened up when fellow Republican Bret Roberts stepped down for family reasons.
“Both bring tremendous experience and leadership which will help the Republican Majority advance good public policy in the upcoming session for the residents of Legislative Districts 8 and 11, and for all of Arizona,” House Speaker Rusty Bowers said upon hearing of the selections.
Martinez currently serves as Director of Coalitions and Hispanic Outreach for Arizona Congressman Paul Gosar. She previously served as a Voting Rights Ambassador for the Arizona Secretary of State’s Office and as Political Director and Coalitions Director for the Arizona Republican Party.
“I sought to serve in the State Legislature because I want to do the tough work on behalf of the people who live in Pinal County,” Martinez said. “Work that will improve quality of life, promote freedom for all, and make government more accountable to the people it serves. I am ready to do that!”
Carter, an attorney and a small business owner, narrowly lost to Pratt in the August 2020 Republican primary by less than 90 votes.
“I appreciate the Board of Supervisors for their vote of confidence,” Carter said. “Serving as state representative is a position of sacred trust, and it is my commitment to serve the people of District 8 with as much diligence as I can to live up to that trust.”
Meanwhile, the Maricopa County Board of Supervisor selected Christian Solorio, a Democrat, to complete the term in the House for LD30 made vacant when Rep. Raquel Terán was selected to fill the vacancy created when Sen. Tony Navarrete resigned in the aftermath of child molestation charges.
by Terri Jo Neff | Oct 10, 2021 | News
By Terri Jo Neff |
Silly Season is that time when professional sports teams announce major trades, resignations, and firings. It starts in Major League Baseball later this month when the World Series is finished, and will be on full display within NASCAR once the season-ending checkered flag waves at Phoenix Raceway on Nov. 7.
This fall, the 55th Arizona Legislature is having its own version of Silly Season, with myriad vacancies that will change the dynamics of the House and Senate when the second regular session starts in January 2022.
One of those vacancies is slated to be filled any day now by the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors following last month’s resignation of Rep. Aaron Lieberman (D-LD28) who is running for Governor. Lieberman’s replacement will be selected by the county board once it receives a list of three nominations from the precinct committeemen of the Democratic Party of Maricopa County.
Sen. Kristen Engel (D-LD10) has also resigned to focus on her campaign for Congressional District 2. The Pima County Board of Supervisors has already received three nominations from the Pima County Democratic Party precinct committeemen for Engel’s replacement, one of whom is Rep. Stephanie Stahl Hamilton (D-LD10).
Stahl Hamilton is seen as the favorite when the county board votes Oct. 19, meaning the Pima County Dems would then have to repeat the precinct committeemen nomination process to fill Stahl Hamilton’s seat in the House.
However, not all of the vacancies will be connected to campaign efforts.
Rep. Randy Friese (D-LD9) announced in March he was running for CD2, which would have pitted him against Engel and Rep. Daniel Hernandez in the Democratic Party primary. Friese, who is a physician, dropped out of the race in September, citing personal and professional considerations. He recently confirmed his intention to leave the Legislature in the next few weeks.
Once Friese’s resignation is formally tendered then the Pima County Democratic Party precinct committeemen will meet once again to nominate three replacements for the Pima County Board of Supervisors to choose from.
In early September, Rep. Bret Roberts (R-LD11) announced his resignation effective at the end of the month due to a planned family move out of state. His district covered portions of Pima and Pinal counites, but it will be the Pinal County Republican precinct committeemen who will nominate three replacements for the Pinal County Board of Supervisors to choose from.
Of course, the most shocking resignation occurred in August when Sen. Tony Navarrete (D-LD30) was arrested for multiple felonies related to child molestation. The vacancy of Navarrete’s seat was filled by Rep. Raquel Teran (D-LD30), whose replacement in the House has not yet been announced by the Pima County board.
But it does not take a lawmaker’s resignation to mix things up at the Legislature.
Sen. Michelle Ugenti-Rita (R-LD23) announced earlier this month she is stepping down from one of the most influential legislative assignments – chairperson of the Senate Government Committee. She told Senate President Karen Fann that she will continue serving on the Appropriations, Commerce, and Finance committees, and stands “ready and committed” to election reform, one of the key subjects handed by the Government Committee.
The unexpected announcement by Ugenti-Rita, who is running for Arizona Secretary of State, has already led to backdoor discussions and public posturing by some senators hoping to sway Fann’s decision on who replaces Ugenti-Rita on the Government Committee as well as who Fann names as the committee’s new chair.
Meanwhile, last month’s death of Rep. Frank Pratt (R-LD8) will trigger another round of recommendations by Pinal County’s Republican precinct committeemen to the Pinal County board to fill Pratt’s seat.
by Corinne Murdock | Aug 14, 2021 | News
By Corinne Murdock |
The Democratic Party (DNC) and Arizona’s Democratic Party are looking to sue the state of Arizona legalizing third party services to purge voter rolls. In a press release, the DNC alluded that both President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris had a hand in urging this legal action.
The DNC sent their demand letter on Wednesday, thereby taking the first step toward legal action. In accordance with federal law, the DNC notified Arizona through a letter of their intent to challenge the voter rolls law.
The law allows the state legislature to enable a third-party service to review voter rolls to assess voter eligibility. That third-party service may then advise the secretary of state and county election officials to remove voters it deemed ineligible.
The DNC argued that this process is unlawful because it lacks standards, proper notification to voters, and keeps local election officials out of the process.
“[The law] violates the National Voter Registration Act because it does not have a standard by which eligibility is determined nor does it provide notification to voters that their registration is in jeopardy,” asserted the DNC. “It also violates the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution, both because it deprives voters of the right to vote without notice and an opportunity to contest the basis of their removal from the rolls, and because it impermissibly allows Arizonans’ fundamental right to vote to be compromised by an unaccountable private party selected by the legislature.
DNC Chairman Jaime Harrison argued that Arizona’s new law removed voters unfairly and without due notice.
“Rather than leaving elections to election professionals, Arizona’s Republican legislature has granted itself the power to appoint a private party to unilaterally disqualify voters without even giving them notice,” said Harrison.
Arizona doesn’t offer same-day voting registration. Rather, voters are responsible for ensuring that they’re registered to vote in advance. Last year, the deadline was extended by court order to mid-October. A complete list of voter registration deadlines can be found here.
Arizona DNC Chair and State Representative Raquel Terán (D-Phoenix) had a slightly different perspective on the matter. She said that this law was a petty attempt by far-right politicians to rewrite election law after losing the presidency.
“Arizona Republicans are so upset they lost that they’re trying to rewrite election rules instead of changing their extreme policies,” said Terán. “Arizona Democrats are proud to join the DNC’s legal action to make sure that voters, not far-right politicians, get to choose who represents them. We are fighting to make sure that every voter has the freedom to make their voice heard.”
The Arizona GOP didn’t respond to AZ Free News by press time.
Corinne Murdock is a reporter for AZ Free News. Follow her latest on Twitter, or email tips to corinne@azfreenews.com.
by Terri Jo Neff | Aug 11, 2021 | News
By Terri Jo Neff |
Efforts to fill the vacancy created by Tuesday’s resignation of Sen. Otoniel “Tony” Navarrete (D-LD30) in the face of child molestation charges will take a bit longer than expected, after it was discovered there are not enough Democrat LD30 precinct committeemen to make the nomination.
At least 30 elected precinct committeemen are required, but there is only 29, according to information obtained from the Maricopa County Recorder’s Office. That means the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors will have to appoint a citizen’s panel which will be tasked with nominating three Democrat candidates.
The board of supervisors will then vote to appoint one of the three candidates as LD30’s senator. The process could take two weeks or more if a rift occurs among within the party and interested candidates.
Navarrete announced his resignation five days after his Aug. 5 arrest on seven felonies involving sexual misconduct with minors. He had his initial court appearance the next day and was released from jail Aug. 7 to await trial after posting a $50,000 secured bond.
Numerous public officials called on Navarrete to resign as soon as word of his arrest became public, including Gov. Doug Ducey, Senate President Karen Fann, and Rep. Raquel Teran, chair of the Arizona Democratic Party.
The one-sentence resignation letter to Fann and Senate Minority Leader Rebecca Rios was followed by a written statement in which Navarrete “adamantly” denied “all allegations that have been made.”
Navarrete’s resignation put the brakes on an effort by Sen, Kelly Townsend for an ethics investigation. Sen. Sine Kerr, chair of the Ethics Committee, previously confirmed receiving Townsend’s complaint about Navarrete, but on Tuesday she dismissed the complaint as moot.
Court records show two boys, ages 16 and 13, told detectives with the Phoenix Police Department of being sexually molested by Navarrete in the past. The older boy alleged multiple incidents of abuse over several years. Among the evidence described in a probable cause statement is a confrontation call between Navarrete and the younger boy during which the then-senator reportedly admitted to engaging in sexual misconduct.
RELATED ARTICLE: Calls For Navarrete’s Resignation Include Attention On Hotlines For Abused Kids
Confrontation calls are utilized by investigators in hopes of getting an alleged perpetrator to provide a confession or other incriminating evidence.
Navarrete has been ordered to have no-contact with the two victims named in the charges. He is also required to comply with electronic monitoring. If convicted of all charges, Navarrete faces a mandatory prison sentence of nearly 50 years.
by Terri Jo Neff | Aug 7, 2021 | News
By Terri Jo Neff |
The arrest of Arizona Sen. Otoniel “Tony” Navarrete (D-LD30) on multiple charges of sexual misconduct with minors has led to demands for his resignation, and many of those making the statements are including information about hotlines for victims of abuse.
Navarrete was taken into custody Thursday on seven felonies involving sexual misconduct with two boys, ages 16 and 13. An initial court appearance was held by video feed in a Maricopa County courtroom Friday at which time a judge set Navarette’s bail at $50,000.
According to court records, the older boy reported multiple incidents of abuse to the Phoenix Police Department on Wednesday. The next day a detective recorded a confrontation call between the boy and Navarrete before making the arrest.
A confrontation call is a common practice used by detectives in sexual abuse cases, particularly with children who cannot confront a suspect in person. The victim is told by a detective what types of things to say and ask in an attempt to obtain incriminating evidence against a suspect to use at trial.
A number of pretrial release conditions were also ordered in Navarrete’s case, including a no-contact order with the two victims as well as all other minors. He must also consent to electronic monitoring if he posts bail.
If convicted of all charges, Navarrete faces a mandatory prison sentence of nearly 50 years.
After the hearing, several public officials called on Navarrete to resign.
“Sen. Navarrete should resign immediately,” Gov. Doug Ducey’s statement read. “These allegations are abhorrent. My prayers are with the young victims and their loved ones during this traumatic time”
The governor’s statement was followed by Senate President Karen Fann.

“These are serious and alarming charges that require Senator Navarrete to step down immediately,” Fann stated Friday afternoon.
Raquel Teran, a state lawmaker and chair of the Arizona Democratic Party also joined the calls for Navarrete’s resignation.
“Like many in our community, I am grieving as more details come out about the charges against my Senate seatmate,” Teran tweeted. “I am calling on Senator Otoniel ‘Tony’ Navarrete to resign immediately. We are elected to protect the most vulnerable, and that begins with our children.
Other Democrats who called for Navarrete to step down Friday are Arizona Secretary of State Katie Hobbs and Kathy Hoffman, Arizona’s Superintendent of Public Instruction.
Also garnering attention after Thursday’s arrest is a tweet Navarrete made Wednesday morning complimenting US. Senator Mark Kelly, who was critical of Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination for the U.S. Supreme Court in 2018. Kelly called Kavanaugh “a dangerous choice” for the bench.
Blake Masters, who hopes to be Kelly’s opponent in the 2022 General Election, called out the senator for his silence on Navarrete’s arrest.

Navarrete, who is a member of the Arizona Legislature’s LGBT caucus, was elected to the State House of Representatives for LD30 in 2016. Then in 2018, he was elected to the State Senate, where he was assigned to the Senate’s appropriations, commerce, and health & human services committees during the last legislative session.
His official Senate biography lists his regular job as Deputy Director for Promise Arizona, a nonprofit community-based organization located in Phoenix. As Deputy Director, Navarrete worked to promote policies which “strengthen families and increase civic participation,” the biography reads.